New range of kits from Muntons arriving in the spring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dry hopped on day 10 but the gravity had fallen below their recommendation by then. But it carried on fermenting for another 8 days. I decided to bottle of as soon as the airlock activity slowed up in case the hop aroma was subsiding. I think I got away with it.šŸ˜
Thanks @Alderneybrew
Was wondering if they were looking for biotransformation or a more typical dry hop

My Hazy IPA has hit close to FG after 3 days so will be getting the second dose of hops later today. It will be left at garage ambient to finish off for 3 days then into the fridge again to drop the yeast & hops out.

Put my west coast and the hazy on nine days ago but did use verdant yeast in the hazy and used the S05 I the west coast as supplied , and currently the the hazy is down to 1.008 and the west coast is at 1.011 so happy with that at the moment, will be bottling on Sunday so the west coast should drop a bit lower by then even though the weather as bit a bit extreme managed to keep the fermentation temp to 21,22 C so looking forward to testing both brews in a few weeks time, both smell amazing put dry hops in both today and the smell in the brew room tonight is very hoppy and fruity ( much to the wifeā€™s dismay šŸ˜‚ ) so I think S05 has done a good job and ainā€™t finished yet šŸ‘šŸ»
Just wondered what your hazy using the verdant yeast reached for FG. Mines been on a week and due to have another 10-14 days to go but interested to know how low it went.

Cheers for that.
many OG was 1.059 so if it goes down to 1.008 that will give me. 6.7%.
didnā€™t add anything extra, other than the verdant yeast.

Aargh!!! Do to my own stupid mistake I dry hopped three days earlier than I shouldā€™ve. I bottled last night and Itā€™s looks great, a lively colour. But, itā€™s got a very herbal taste. I hope this will dissipate in time but it looks like Iā€™m drinking herbal rocket fuel for a while.
Should say it came in at 7.87% using x 131.25 method.

I've had the American Pale Ale bottled for 14 days, and it's the best beer I've had in ages, and certainly the best I've ever brewed - I couldn't help myself but to chill a couple of bottles as a sample...

The hops definitely come through well, and it cleared really nicely.

Going to have to get another one on because this batch isn't going to last...

Has anyone had any issues with the dry hops blocking up the syphon when the bags over it as a filter? Mine kept getting blocked when I was transferring it to a second FV for adding the priming sugar and as such made it a painful task and now worried Iā€™ve added a lot of O2 in the brew from messing with it to get the flow re-established with the syphon. Ended up with on 8 bottles and a 10 litre keg so the priming calcs have gone out the window. Real shame as it was looking like and smelt like a great brew as brewingā€¦ā€¦ let alone blowing nearly Ā£30! Have started the West Coast IPA but might put the hops in a sack this time so I donā€™t get the same issue.

Has anyone had any issues with the dry hops blocking up the syphon when the bags over it as a filter? Mine kept getting blocked when I was transferring it to a second FV for adding the priming sugar and as such made it a painful task and now worried Iā€™ve added a lot of O2 in the brew from messing with it to get the flow re-established with the syphon. Ended up with on 8 bottles and a 10 litre keg so the priming calcs have gone out the window. Real shame as it was looking like and smelt like a great brew as brewingā€¦ā€¦ let alone blowing nearly Ā£30! Have started the West Coast IPA but might put the hops in a sack this time so I donā€™t get the same issue.

It's funny, I worried about the exact same thing - my FV has a spigot on the side for bottling and I ummed and ahhed about whether to bag the hops, or try and put the baggie on the spigot as a filter - in the end I thought 'sod it' and just dumped the lot in the FV loose, and bottled with the little bottler as normal.

The majority of the hops were either sunk, or floating on the surface when it came to bottling, but the last few bottles definitely had a few bits of hop debris suspended in the neck after a few days.

Interestingly, 12 hours in the fridge, and even the worst bottles have had the debris drop and are perfectly clear.

In future I probably would either bag the hops, or use a basket, but the end result didn't end up marring the experience or end result for me.

Iā€™m glad it wasnt just me! Iā€™ve done over 30 brews and never had this problem before. The hop pellets had disintegrated into such small pieces it was causing havoc! It was like all the hops had become a ā€mushā€ (See pic). The little bottler just kept getting blocked with hop particles which didnā€™t help. Also unlike me, I followed the instructions to the letter and the hops were only in for exactly 4 days. The worry is that if they are bagged or in a strainer then the brew will loose itā€™s intended hoppy flavour?

Attachments

• FFD18218-66EC-46DE-A405-D8F0BFD958DE.jpeg
    FFD18218-66EC-46DE-A405-D8F0BFD958DE.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 52
Iā€™ve got the Hazy just coming to an end and bottling will probably take place on Wednesday. I bagged both lots of hops and was considering cold crashing it for a couple of days before bottling, something I havenā€™t yet done. Reason for this thought is that I was also considering bottling straight from the FV while itā€™s still in the fridge. Removes the need to disturb it any more than needs be. Iā€™ve got some carb drops left over from bottling a cider 3 weeks ago and thought Iā€™d try this new method. FV is on the top shelf of the fermentation fridge and I fitted a spigot 2 brews back so can fit the little bottler straight to it. Worked a treat for the cider.

I struggled with siphoning the Hazy the mesh bag they provided simply clogged the siphon and made it harder to bottle or transfer. Next time I'll use hop bags I think

Muntons Hazy IPA

Started - 9th June - made up to 20L with Tesco Ashbeck mineral water. Fermented in brew fridge at 20.5Ā°C.
First hops added - 10th June.
Second hops added - 19th June.
Bottled - 22nd June, with one sugar stick per bottle and put into brew fridge at 20.5Ā°C.
Moved out to shed - 8th July.
First pint - 3rd September.

I would normally have tried this earlier, but I try only to drink at weekends and I've been away a lot recently.

My first reaction is that it's not quite as good as the test kit I did for Muntons (which was then branded as a NEIPA). I know they tweaked the recipe a bit, but it could just as easily be a slightly different fermentation. It's nice, but it doesn't have the punch or hop hit of the first one. Possibly a slight hint of twang as well. The first one blew me away so I had high hopes for this, but this is definitely not as good. Still perfectly drinkable and I'll enjoy it, but I'm a little flat given I was expecting much better. I think I was spoilt by the first brew, which was exceptional.

Back