New to AG - Love the Forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chizzle

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've finally just moved in to my own place, and one thing i've wanted to do for a while is home-brewing! It's been a few years since I did some pretty ropey brews in my uni days - but i've spent the last few weeks buying the gear needed to hopefully brew successfully!

I'm planning on doing an orange(y) IPA style brew as my first attempt at AG - probably a bit ambitious but if you don't try, you don't learn!

My planned brew is:
83% Maris Otter
8.5% Crystal 40
8.5% Rye Malt

Northern Brewer (30g @ 60 mins)
Citra (30g at 15, 5 & 1 min)
Galaxy (30g Dry Hop)

Then i'll probably add some orange peel into primary.

Love this forum so far, it's been useful to understand what I'm needing to do. If anyone's got any killer tips for an initial AG brew, i'm all ears!

Thanks for the welcome guys. And thanks for the tips in the link - all useful stuff.

I'm really keen on seeing what orangey flavour I can get, so might ignore your advice this time :nono:
I'm sure i'll live to regret it, but hey ho!

I'm around the Peterborough area - not sure if anyone else active is from this neck of the woods?

Make it a short brew in case it tastes, well not to your liking!

Welcome. You are bound to hit a number of problems during your journey, don't let them put you off. And if in doubt just ask.

Welcome from one newbie to another, I was hoping to do my first small batch of all grain today but I'm still waiting on ingredients to come through the post.

Welcome to the forum

If you do use orange peel make sure you dont get any pith in there as it's very bitter

MyQui is trying to take the pith out of your recipe :lol:

If you really want to see what orange does do it but do it how Brighton says. Then you can pick out what orange does. Trust a lot of us, it doesn't do what you think.
Ginger however does. Had some fun with that.

Thanks for the advice (and pith taking(!) :grin:) - i think i'll split the batch into two and see what difference it makes. Want something orangey, but don't want 5 gallons of undrinkable fruit punch!

If you were after an intense orange taste, what would you be doing? I'm going for citra and galaxy hops, and was planning on adding some dried sweet orange peel I've bought to the primary fermentation stage, but this is based on little more than guesswork!

Have a look into orange essence you can buy it in sainsbury and probably other supermarkets. It's primarily used in baking but I'm sure it could be re purposed for your needs.

Don't you need to boil orange peel? Dropping it into primary will lead to wild yeast getting in there.

Thanks for the advice (and pith taking(!) :grin:) - i think i'll split the batch into two and see what difference it makes. Want something orangey, but don't want 5 gallons of undrinkable fruit punch!

If you were after an intense orange taste, what would you be doing? I'm going for citra and galaxy hops, and was planning on adding some dried sweet orange peel I've bought to the primary fermentation stage, but this is based on little more than guesswork!

Shed loads of late Amarillo. More orangey than David Dickinson.

Don't you need to boil orange peel? Dropping it into primary will lead to wild yeast getting in there.

I'm sure you're right - just wondering how this is any different to dry-hopping, tough?

Will try and seek out some Amarillo to add to the orange flavour - thanks!

I'm sure you're right - just wondering how this is any different to dry-hopping, tough?

Will try and seek out some Amarillo to add to the orange flavour - thanks!
When dry hopping with hops, you're pretty safe as the hops themselves are anti-bacterial, so thers very little chance of infection. Peel on the other hand will be covered in wild yeast so the chances of infection are high.

Brightonnik is quite right though, soaking in vodka for a day should cure the problem.

Awesome - thanks Brightonnik & TheRedDarren - you've saved me from making an error right off the bat! I'll give the vodka a go and let you know how brewday (sunday!) goes.

As well as taking the pith off you should pay attention to the type of orange, Seville oranges are rated highly or a mixture of two parts sweet orange peel one part grapefruit peel.
Also try 1-2 tablespoons of marmalade that is packed with Seville orange.
Just to say ive never tried this but have been reading Randy Moshers book and he seems to know what he's on about.:thumb:

Oh and good luck with the beer and welcome to the forum the guys on here are top notch at helping out us newer brewers :)

Back