New to all grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fezzer

Reaction score
Did my first all grain batch yesterday a TT landlord clone. Went well ish. Nervously Rushed it a bit instead of enjoying it a bit more. Looking for my next brew but just dunno what I wanna do. Seem to be looking for things mates like instead of something for myself. I like APA's and IPA's. Anyone got any easy recommendations. Cheers.

Did my first all grain batch yesterday a TT landlord clone. Went well ish. Nervously Rushed it a bit instead of enjoying it a bit more. Looking for my next brew but just dunno what I wanna do. Seem to be looking for things mates like instead of something for myself. I like APA's and IPA's. Anyone got any easy recommendations. Cheers.
Congrats on your first AG. There's no going back now. Ive got 2 recommendations: don't worry about your mates, free beer is always superior to beer you have to pay for; as it's your first AG, we're there any issues you'd like to plug before leaping into the second?

That said, IPA's are hop forward. What hops do you like best?

Only trouble I had was I'd worked my sparging and strike water out for a 60min boil and it was a 90min boil and I was 5 litre short so I had to top up to 22litre instead of 23 litre to hit FG apart from that all went well. Won't be doing it in the house again tho, steamed cleaned the kitchen 😂 I've dry hopped tin kits with Citra and Vics secret. They're my 2 faves.

Sounds pretty good for a first attempt. My own first AG - a Newcastle Brown from Dave Line's book was a horrible stick mess back in the eighties. Didn't put me off though. Well done.

Cheapo Klarstein kettle got no litre marks on it, so need to work something out with that. Seen metal rulers being used. Think I'll just do a nice pale ale for my next one but fancy something red/ruby coloured. Deffo 60min boil next time to save on the steam.

Only trouble I had was I'd worked my sparging and strike water out for a 60min boil and it was a 90min boil and I was 5 litre short so I had to top up to 22litre instead of 23 litre to hit FG apart from that all went well. Won't be doing it in the house again tho, steamed cleaned the kitchen 😂 I've dry hopped tin kits with Citra and Vics secret. They're my 2 faves.
Wow. Those are quite different. You might try subbing Citra with Galaxy, it's like Citra but cleaner and more fragrant IMHO. Here's a recipe if I can find it: found it. Viking is just a brand like Crisp's or Muntons
https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2148988/galaxy-apa

Last edited:
Wow. Those are quite different. You might try subbing Citra with Galaxy, it's like Citra but cleaner and more fragrant IMHO. Here's a recipe if I can find it:
I didn't put them in the same kits. I do woodfords real ale 2 tin kits, then dry hop 1 batch with citra only and another with vics secret. Both tasted similar the vics secret maybe a little nicer.

Attachments

• 20220207_173814.jpg
    20220207_173814.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 46
Now you are into AG - the world is your lobster!

I recently tried doing a SMASH for the first time uisng Amarillo as the hop. I tried the first bottle the other day and am very happy with the result. It is definitely an APA style and quite hoppy but not as hoppy as the American IPA's. If you wanted to have a go it is very simple:

4.95Kg Maris Otter

Amarillo whole leaf:
60g at start of boil
25g last 15 min
25g last 5 min
90g at flame out

Mash time 70 min
Boil time 70 min

Yeast: Nottingham Ale (Safale S-05 would probably work well)

This gave 21 litres at an OG of 1050

Nottingham is high attenutaing so the final gravity was 1008 which gives an ABV of about 5.5%.

I recently tried doing a SMASH for the first time uisng Amarillo as the hop. I tried the first bottle the other day and am very happy with the result. It is definitely an APA style and quite hoppy but not as hoppy as the American IPA's. If you wanted to have a go it is very simple:

4.95Kg Maris Otter

Amarillo whole leaf:
60g at start of boil
25g last 15 min
25g last 5 min
90g at flame out

Mash time 70 min
Boil time 70 min

Nottingham is high attenutaing so the final gravity was 1008 which gives an ABV of about 5.5%.

Put that into Brewfather and it gave IBU of 122 !
Probably a bit much for most people but each to their own ( style guide suggests 30 - 50 for an APA ).

4.95Kg Maris Otter

Amarillo whole leaf:
60g at start of boil
25g last 15 min
25g last 5 min
90g at flame out

Mash time 70 min
Boil time 70 min

Thanks mate, I've built a recipe in brewfather app for myself a nice pale ale. Gunna order grains this week. Hope you enjoy your beer 👍

Put that into Brewfather and it gave IBU of 122 !
Probably a bit much for most people but each to their own ( style guide suggests 30 - 50 for an APA ).
That's an interesting point Tanglefoot. I put it into Brewers Friend with the correct alpha acid etc and it came out at 87 IBU (I suspect that the algorithms used by Brewfather may differ a bit from Brewers Friend). 87 is still high I know but it certainly doesn't taste unbalanced. I like hoppy beers but have I have had much hoppier beers in pubs and some I do find overhopped. I compared this in Brewers Friend with the recipe that I do most which is a St Austell Proper Job clone that is very popular with friends etc (to the extent that I can rather begrudge everyone choosing it rather than the other commercial beers on offer when we get together!). That came out at 83 IBU which again is high. Both beers are definitely hop driven (as intended) but pleasantly so. I suspect that in my brewing system my hop utilisation may be on the low side. It is certainly true that my boil is on the gentle side (to avoid it splashing over the top of the kettle) and I know pH can effect utilisation (I have not measured wort pH in the boil but generally have quite a low mash pH of about 5.2 - 5.3). I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter because the beers are good and that it what really counts. ☺

Just tested my TT landlord clone 8 days in and it's at 1.010 tastes lovely no homebrew twang. Why didn't I do All grain sooner. Anyway, I've got a corny keg and 70/30 gas I'm going to hook this up to handpull. What's my next steps? Secondry cold or leave it in fermenter and cold crash it or straight in corny and gas it up and put it outside for a few week.

Attachments

• IMG-20220312-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20220312-WA0005.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 19
Get yourself a decent base IPA recipe (I use Maris Otter with a little wheat and Vienna and Magnum bittering hops). You can play around with what hops you use and when you use them and you're creating your own recipes too.

This!

Find the recipes or approximate assumptions of the recipes for beers you like and see what they have in common and use it as a base.. dont be afraid to chew a few grains before the mash either to get an idea of their flavor profiles.. most helping software these days will give you an idea of what percentages the beer will have if you need to check but you can add more or less of whatever you like the taste of.

looks a nice beer anyway (even though i dont like IPA!)

And as others have said.. when you brew grain you open the rabbit hole!

Latest posts

Back