New to all this...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomB88

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I thought I would just say hello, which I have never done on a forum before... Not that I am a member of many.

I'm just starting out home brewing and thought I'd jump right in at the deep end and go all grain from the get go.

I have bought a used peco boiler, a bunch of FV's, my neighbors have been donating bottles (no doubt wanting a few pints in return), today I did the manifold/cooler MLT (although I haven't got round to cutting all the slots yet) and now need to make a heated fridge... well, modify a fridge.

Lets hope my inability to cook food doesn't transfer over to beer!

I am looking to make something similar to doom bar/hobgoblin, if anyone has any recipe suggestions I'd love to hear them. Though, my initial plan is to do the first brew with an all grain kit from the malt miller, just because everything is weighed out and ready to go.

All the best,

Tom

Well Tom...you're in the right place. Sounds like you're in control too..loads of peco users about so I'm sure if you get stuck help won't be far away!

A warm welcome to the forum and Wow, that's quite an ambitious start to brewing but it sounds like you know what you are doing. I'm with @Gerryjo in recommending go with an all grain kit rather than worry about all the malts and hops separately to begin with. That way you can focus on process to begin with.

Anna

Thank you to you all for the warm welcome!

@Gerryjo Thanks for the links. I had found the MM Hobgoblin kit, along with the MM Doom Bar kit, the other website looks to have many interesting things.. more to read!

Out of interest, I called MM about the Doom Bar kit and they told me it was for more 'advanced' brewers owing to the fact that it should be fermented under pressure, so DB is on hold until I have a few brews under my belt and feel comfortable investing in a fermzilla or similar.

@DocAnna Apart from a couple of months of research, I have no idea what I'm doing! I hope that my research has imparted enough knowledge that I don't totally mess up my first (or subsequent) brew, but there's only one way to find out! If you, or anyone else for that matter, thinks going all grain straight away is a recipe for disaster (pun intended) then do let me know! I would rather be told something is a stupid idea before I waste time and money.

@Markk Thanks for the link! I hadn't found that shop in my searching, seems a little cheaper than MM.

I brewed beer and wine kits in my late teens early 20's and gave up due to other interests.started back just over 4 years ago and went straight to AG and done a kit or two but never looked back.Made plenty of mistakes and learned from them so all positive.
Go for it.

Back