New to forum, Yeasty tasting cider,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredaford

Reaction score
Good evening all, I'm looking for advice please.
I am on my 4th batch of cider brewed from a kit. All 4 have turned out very good apart from a little smell and taste of what I would call "fermentation/yeasty" aroma/taste. Don't get me wrong it's very drinkable and strong however would be better without this.
I follow the method in the instructions which is after fermentation to bottle the cider with a level teaspoon of suger for secondary fermentation and to give this cider its fizz. When the cider is ready for drinking it has cleared and there is always slight sediment in the bottom of the bottle. My question is should I rack the cider off into another bucket before bottling so as not to transfer any of the sediment or does the secondary fermentation need some of this sediment to react with the priming sugar?
I am about to start my next batch and would like to try and get a perfect result for Christmas..
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks you, Gary

No expert in making cider but funnily enough the wife saw a mixed berry cider kit at Wilco’s a few weeks ago and asked if I would make it up for her for the christmas period, and I bottled it two days ago, and stuck to my usual routine for bottling my beers, which is to siphon into a sterilised bottling bucket being careful not to splash it around because of oxidisation, that as had the priming sugar added to it first ten give a very gentle stir for a couple of minutes to mix primer in thoroughly , then bottle with a little bottler attachment and cap 👍

The thing about cider is that it takes more time than people usually give it. Wait a month or two. The cider will improve substantially. Just need patience and time is all.

I make a lot of apple juice WOWs,During the first lockdown I made one with bread yeast,as I could not buy any winemaking yeast.
The fermentation went ok,But there was an awfull yeasty taste,That would not go away,Even after multiple rackings and filtering.

Since this is a kit,I would have thought that a decent yeast would be included.

Only thing to try now is "maturing" and hope it eventually sorts itself out.

Thanks for your replies. Next batch I will siphon into another vessel already containing the priming sugar before bottling. On the subject of leaving it longer, is this in the fermenting bucket or in a warm place once it is bottled? Or is it before I actually open the bottles to drink.? The kits always say to be able to drink within 2 to 3 weeks which to me doesn't seem long enough.

The kits always try and kid you about times for being able to drink. A lot of the guys here use the 2+2+2 method. 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks warm bottle conditioning, and 2 weeks cold maturing. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

On the subject of leaving it longer, is this in the fermenting bucket or in a warm place once it is bottled? Or is it before I actually open the bottles to drink.?

All of the above. A typical cider fermentation for me takes about a month in primary, a month in the bottle, a day in the refrigerator, then enjoy. These are minimum timeframes. If you still detect sulfur at this point, give it a couple more weeks. Patience is always rewarded.

The kits always say to be able to drink within 2 to 3 weeks which to me doesn't seem long enough.

Hell no. And the 2+2+2 rule is ~okay for many beers, but not cider.

Yet on the instructions for the mixed berry cider from Wilco’s they say differently , very confusing for never before cider maker folk, but when making from fresh ingredients I can totally see where your coming from , suppose it’s just the same as making country wines 👍

Hi @Fredaford have you thought about trying making 'turbo cider'?. Apple juice from supermarket and yeast (cider or ale), lots of threads on here with loads of advice I've always had good results with Turbo but have not made a kit so can't compare it.

Not heard of turbo cider until I joined the forum, but will look up the threads and maybe have a go, thanks

I have just finished drinking my first turbo cider brew. It didn’t taste good when it went into the bottles, but it didn’t last long when it came out! Quite different from shop stuff, of course, but definitely tasted like real cider.

Latest posts

Back