New to Kegging standard beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin-68

Reaction score
Like most other i guess, i have been forced into lock-down which means more online shopping
the excess of time has made me buy more Home-brew equipment ,i am a total beginner to kegging ,but growing tired of bottling so i have purchased a 1 keg system & placed in my beer fridge with a view to adding an additional keg at a later date , I have brewed and bottled a number of kits with pretty good success, so its time to progress on to the next stage

i only really have 1 question , which i thought i new the answer but then youtube confused me again

When carbonating ,you just fill the keg pressure up-to about 25psi to seal the key ,then drop back down to about 12psi purge the head space and leave for about 2 weeks to carbonate "there is no need for priming sugar"
Hopefully this is correct

Keg.jpg

How did you get on with the one keg setup? I have a similar setup and struggling to get the right carbonation. The beer is definitely carbonated and has a nice tinglewhen you drink it, but hardly any pressure through the tap and no head at all

I have been putting my homebrew in 5l mini kegs I buy from the supermarket and have had great results. I iuse a Klarensien skal beer dispenser which works a treat.

How did you get on with the one keg setup? I have a similar setup and struggling to get the right carbonation. The beer is definitely carbonated and has a nice tinglewhen you drink it, but hardly any pressure through the tap and no head at all

Hi,

Can you explain in a bit more detail what your carbonating and serving procedure is and then I'm sure we can all offer advice.

What pressure are you carbonating at? How long did you leave it hooked up to the gas carbonating? At what temperature? What pressure and temperature do you have it set up for dispensing/serving? How are you dispensing? What length are your beer lines? What size (diameter) beer lines are you using?

Sounds a bit scary and complicated when you write it all down like that!

Hi David,

Very scary/complicated! All good fun though and fortunately I enjoy a bit of problem solving.

I think I'm getting to the bottom of the problem... I'd left the pilsner for 7 days at 7 degrees at 12 PSI. I had a beer line which reduced from 3/8 to 3/16 and back x 2m long. I think this was too long. To check I swapped this line for 1m of continuous 3/8" and FOAM FOAM FOAM. So now I see I need to find some middle ground.

What is scarier is the prospect of my first all grain brew this weekend o_O

Last edited:
30l Brew Monk and a Big Smoke- Underworld Milk Stout.

Probably not the most sensible choice for a first brew!

I struggled a bit ,I use the party tap & had to adjust the length of the beer hose to get the right flow and carbonation but all good now

Back