New to Kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi I will be kegging a beer into a corny tonight.
I plan to use some pipe from my FV tap onto the out/liquid connection of my keg.
I will clean and rinse the keg then use 2 litres of starsan to sanitise, which I will push out with C02.
Will there be any issues with oxydation as I will only be filling a 19L keg with 12L?
Or will over pressurising and realeasing CO2 via the dump valve on top be enough to remove oxygen.
I see on youtube some people fill the keg right to the top with Starsan to get rid of oxygen. As I have to use mineral water I don't want the expense or want to use up space storing it.
Cheers

Don't worry about it. Plenty of people use pressure barrels and don't purge. I doubt you will notice much oxidation unless you splash the beer around when transferring it. Overpressurising as you suggest will reduce the oxygen and so help. And as you only have 12l I can't imagine it'll stick around long enough for oxidation to be an issue!

I will usually sanitise my cornys with a few litres of Chemsan, then pressurise and use this to sanitise the lines, tap etc when passing it out again. Never bother filling right up, only 2 or 3 litres to sanitise, and never had a problem. Wouldn't worry about the head space either, so long as the seals on your corny are good, there shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back