New to Kombucha

Discussion in 'Coffee, Kombucha & Mead Forum' started by Eli99, Dec 6, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2018 #1

Eli99

Eli99

Eli99

Hello all! My name is Eli and I have recently got into brewing my own kombucha. I have been wanting to do this for some time now, and decided to finally jump in. I have successfully brewed, bottled, and enjoyed my first batch and have my second batch a day over a week into the brewing process. I checked this morning on my kombucha (I tried to let it set the first week despite me wanting to constantly check on it), and saw something that has me a little concerned. The SCOBY sank to the bottom (which I do know is normal), so the little thin layer of SCOBY forming on top is as should be, however, there are some yellow-tan splotches on underneath this filmy layer that I do not know whether or not are mold. I will attach pictures and I would be so so grateful if anyone would be willing to weigh in and I will of course be more than happy to provide more information about the batch if that will help. Thank you for your help in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Dec 7, 2018 #2

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Regular.

Welcome to the forum Eli. This is the quietest sub-forum but there are a few of us about. I've never made kombucha before so don't have much experience with a SCOBY, it doesn't look like mold to me, not at the moment anyway. Reminds me of yeast flocs, maybe they'll form into the new SCOBY?

3. Dec 7, 2018 #3

phillc

phillc

phillc

Not sure about the tan blotches, but I think it's probably OK. My kombucha mushroom has been totally neglected for months sometimes, just sitting in the last third of the most recent batch and yet whenever I find the time to make a fresh batch it always turns out alright. I've had it sink before with no problems. As @Zephyr259 suggests, this might just be a new mushroom forming.

My current mushroom is massively thick with long tendrils growing underneath, yet it still seems to produce decent kombucha.

IMG_20181207_164222.jpg

Ghillie likes this.
  4. Dec 9, 2018 at 12:18 AM #4

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Never heard of Kombucha, but it sounds like fun stuff to drink and it may even have health benefits!

However ...

"Kombucha is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth. Kombucha can cause side effects when contaminated including stomach problems, yeast infections, allergic reactions, yellow skin (jaundice), nausea, vomiting, head and neck pain, and death."

... so I think I will give it a miss for now!

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-538/kombucha