New Year - Slid Brewday

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
On to today. It was Jan 2018 the last time I did the Cornish Tin Miners' Ale from the GH book.

MO 5.1kg
Biscuit Malt, home toasted, 300g
Crystal 113 300g
Special B 200g
Dark Crystal 80g
Sussex Hops 7% Alpha @ 45 / 15 / 15 grams @ FW / 15m / 0m

Re-used the Liberty Belle yeast.

Brew day went OK, but efficiency (BHE) was down to 75%, due to a lot of hot break material left at the end that did not want to let the last of the wort into the FV. I suppose I could have just chucked it in, but WTH, it should be a decent enough beer in a few months time.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
A little while ago I picked up 500g of Bobek pellets for £7 (they are a little middle aged, like so many of us!). They are 3.6% Alpha and I thought about using them in a Durden Park inspired recipe with loads of low Alpha hops for bittering a strong beer.

But today I put them in this instead: Styrian Amber Ale.

Maria Otter 4kg
Wheat Malt 250g
Crystal 113 180g
Aromatic Malt 70g
Admiral 13% 26g @ FW
Styrian Goldings (Bobek) 27g @ 15m
Styrian Goldings (Bobek) 27g @ 5m
US05
As 4.5kg is the efficiency "sweet spot" on the GF, all went very well today

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you get many esters/phenols off the Kristallweizen yeast? I have a couple of sachets and I'm doing some research. I want to make a quick brew to fill one of my new kegs and haven't done a weizen for over a year. Last time I used this yeast it was rather bland fermented at 21degC. Do you know how to get the best out of it?

Belated reply I'm afraid, but I used the Krystallweizen again in a beer I bottled yesterday. It is a bit hard to get beyond the raspberries in a RWB but the second was a Hefeweizen sort of an effort and there were no noticeable yeast flavours for mine. It seems to drop pretty clear and my solution is to revert to the MJ Bavarian Wheat yeast, and just "get out of it", as it were.

I actually think that the Brewferm Blanche wheat yeast was pretty good as well.

clib

Reaction score
A little while ago I picked up 500g of Bobek pellets for £7 (they are a little middle aged, like so many of us!). They are 3.6% Alpha and I thought about using them in a Durden Park inspired recipe with loads of low Alpha hops for bittering a strong beer.

But today I put them in this instead: Styrian Amber Ale.

Maria Otter 4kg
Wheat Malt 250g
Crystal 113 180g
Aromatic Malt 70g
Admiral 13% 26g @ FW
Styrian Goldings (Bobek) 27g @ 15m
Styrian Goldings (Bobek) 27g @ 5m
US05
As 4.5kg is the efficiency "sweet spot" on the GF, all went very well today
Only 446g to go!

clib

Reaction score
Do you get many esters/phenols off the Kristallweizen yeast? I have a couple of sachets and I'm doing some research. I want to make a quick brew to fill one of my new kegs and haven't done a weizen for over a year. Last time I used this yeast it was rather bland fermented at 21degC. Do you know how to get the best out of it?
The Lalbrew Munich Classic is supposed to be the king of the dry weizen yeasts, according to those who brew and love them. I have a pack but not got round to using it yet. Higher priorities.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
OK 3 weeks later to the day, The Hefeweizen with CML-Krystallweizen yeast is pretty good. Very easy to drink beer and very much suited to a summery afternoon in the garden. So pleased with it that I have reprised the recipe again today, more or less:

Pale Malt 2.75kg
Wheat Malt 2.25kg
Rice Hulls 190g

Hops were the last of the Sussex I used in the Cornish Tin Miners Ale - 22g to get IBU in the 15.'s for the Hefeweizen and re-used the Krystallweizen yeast.
Don't suppose the hops will make much difference as the beer seems very much yeast driven, taste-wise.

Now all we need is the aforementioned summery afternoon to spend in the garden!

cushyno

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Slid, that's good to hear. A nice and simple grain bill and hops leaves all the expectation on the yeast department. Do you get much flavour from the yeast? Banana or cloves?

I am still yet to brew my wheat beer, so debating whether to experiment with a stepped mash with the Kristallweizen or to keep it simple on the yeast and do a pseudo-wit with kveik and chuck in some coriander. Either way, I'll likely use a bit of Saaz but pair it with tettnang for weizen or a few grams of Admiral for the wit.

So, just waiting for the sun now...

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Slid, that's good to hear. A nice and simple grain bill and hops leaves all the expectation on the yeast department. Do you get much flavour from the yeast? Banana or cloves?

I am still yet to brew my wheat beer, so debating whether to experiment with a stepped mash with the Kristallweizen or to keep it simple on the yeast and do a pseudo-wit with kveik and chuck in some coriander. Either way, I'll likely use a bit of Saaz but pair it with tettnang for weizen or a few grams of Admiral for the wit.

So, just waiting for the sun now...
Banana and clove? Maybe not so much, but then, I associate cloves (or clove oil) with toothaches and never really liked bananas much, ever when I was playing at being an amateur endurance athlete.

You want Noble hops for authenticity, of course, but at 15 IBUs and no late addition, is it really going to matter that much? Not so sure myself, but then, I do make simplistic and crude sort of beers!

Latest posts