Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Another Golden Ale today:

Maris Otter 4.6kg
Vienna Malt 300g

Hop-wise I picked up some English hops including Olicana and Sovereign at £2 from Worcester Hop Shop and was intending to use those today, but finished the open bags from the freezer instead, so:

Chinook 20g @ First Wort and the rest (~10g) at Flame out
EKG 20/20 and the rest ~30g @ 15m / 5m / Flame out

Re-used US05 yeast.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so, I did the Olicana and Sovereign two weeks ago. Here is the recipe:

Maris Otter 4.4kg
Caragold 200g
Wheat Malt 200g

Bittering with Tomahawk @ 15.9% 10g @ FW (yes, this is not going to be bitter!)
Olicana (7.34%) and Sovereign (4.94%) 15g each - at each of 15, 5 and 0 mins.
I racked this over today to secondary and was pleased with its colour.

Yesterday's brew was a Greg Hughes Dry Stout, everyone on here must know this recipe, surely, except that I just used the Tomahawk bittering hop at First Wort. Both the above beers were done with re-used US 05.
As regards the Stout, #2 daughter ended up (after young person stuff with a jilted ex-boyfriend) with 15 cans of Black Fruit Cider, which is very sweet and berry-ish, in an over-the-top way and may go well with a Stout.

I have experimented and the best mix is maybe only 15-25% of the cider to the dark beer, such is the overpowering nature of the berry cider.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, not posted anything here for ages. Main reason is that I have done nothing particularly new, interesting or even different for months. Golden Ale, a Weissbier, Orkney Dark, Old Peculier clones, Patersbeer and Tripel with M31, all done before.
The Grainfather has cut out around 80C on the way up to boil for years now and I have developed a rather tedious methodology for using BIAB bag and Peco Boiler (the HBC kit) to work around this. I do the mash and sparge in the GF and use the Peco Boiler for the sparge water. After sparging, I jug the wort into the Peco via a BIAB bag, which filters out a lot of little bits of grain - between a ping-pong ball and a tennis ball sized lump. Then after boiling in the Peco, jug it back into the GF to cool and put in the FV as per any normal A-i-One system.

During this palaver, SWMBO asks "why don't you just get a new one? How much are they anyway". A quick search showed Lovebrewing @ £675. I dunno if this is the latest version or not of the G30, but I don't have an i-phone, (on principle - that principle being that everyone I know with one, lives via this interface onto reality) so not too fussed about the tech stuff. I did think about a cheaper alternative, and did minimal research, but WTH and SWMBO completed the purchase whilst I was messing around with the cleaning up.

For what its worth this was today's beer, the Orkney Dark Island Clone grain bill:

Maris Otter 3,980g
Wheat 250g
Crystal 280g
Chocolate 180g

CTZ hops to bitter and NZ Cascade 20g @ 15m and 35 @ 2mins. The old workhorse, US 05 for the yeast. Got 27L of wort and 80% efficiency.

SWMBO expects me to take the old one to the tip. If the new one works OK, anyone interested in collecting from BL1 could save me a job, if they would have any use for a partially functional unit. It heats water, mashes OK, does the cooling with a Counterflow chiller and cuts out at circa 80C. A sparky could by-pass the safety cut-off, but that is far too risky for me to even think about.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
The New GF unit arrived during the week and I did a US Stout (8% Crystal, 8% Black Malt, 84% Maris Otter) using Simcoe and Summitt hops with US 05.
This went smoothly and without having to transfer the wort around.

The younger daughter's new-ish BF was shadowing me to find out more and confirmed afterwards that he would like to take the old, partially functioning unit away with him. So that, as they say, is that. He showed me some Pic's on his phone of a German colleague who has a brewing system that is bafflingly hi-tech looking and makes an All-in-One system look like a leaky pot on a camp fire.

I'm going to try and look after the new one better than the first (186 brews - £3.25 a pop).

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so done a couple of beers on the new GF and it saves at least an hour not transferring wort to the Peco Boiler to boil and then back to the GF to do the chilling. However, the fact that any malt or hop bits get captured in the transfer (via a BIAB bag) meant that less wort was lost overall (surprisingly).
Anyway the beers were just the same as done before - including a Raspberry Wheat, for instance. But today I finally got around to brewing an Irish Red Ale from the GH book. As an experiment I also did a 30 mins boil instead of the usual 60. Wort seemed very clear, but perhaps all the gunk just got tipped down the sink instead of into the FV.
The recipe:
X-Pale Maris Otter 4.7kg
Flaked Barley 300g
Crystal 225g
Roast Barley 55g

Simcoe to Bitter (to use up a long open bag) and 30g Fuggles at flame out (or switch off) and US05 (thought about S33 but it was quite warm today!)

Latest posts