New Year - Slid Brewday

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by Slid, Jan 13, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Aug 18, 2019 #141

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Also added the rest of the Mandarina @ racking ~37g. This is great already! Very pleased with the result. As orange peel is often added to a Saison, using Mandarina Bavaria seemed obvious - and it works.

2. Aug 23, 2019 #142

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

A heatwave this weekend, for an ABH change! So, soon be Autumn, and with this in mind it's a 25L Dry Stout, recipe borrowed from GH.

Pale (Minch) 4.84kg
    Flaked Barley 600g
    Roast Barley 500g
    Chocolate Malt 200g

Just one bittering addition, at first Wort:
    Endeavour 34g
    Columbus 12g

3. Sep 1, 2019 #143

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Decided to do this one again. Had a bag of EKG open and this recipe used the remainder. Also had open bags of malt, which influenced the subtle looking weight differences:

Pale Minch 4.72kg
    Chocolate 316g
    Special B 248g
    Wheat 197g

First Gold and EKG - 20g of each @ 60m (22 Bittering Units)
    FG 20g EKG 31g @ 10mins

The grain crush in this bag of malt makes for a very sticky mash and sparge, which I address by a lot of stirring up. This in turn gives a very cloudy wort and a lot of trub (~ 3L) at first racking to secondary FV.

4. Sep 1, 2019 #144

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

I did forget to mention that yesterday's brew was the 100th using the Grainfather. Mine has a distinct tendency to cut-out on the phase post sparge when it is being brought up to boiling,

It also does not perform well with a fine grain crush (I have not the space yet to accommodate a grain mill) and basically I have adopted a routine that sees the mash, sparge and cooling done in the GF and the boil stage done in the Peco Boiler. I got this with the HBC AG kit, and also I use a pretty robust BIAB bag to filter out the fine grain, usually a tennis balled sized lump, after the sparge in the transfer to the boiler. A bit tedious, but once you get into a routine, it is just what you do, TBH.

5. Sep 15, 2019 #145

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Last of the re-used Belle Saison today.
    I have been collecting and freezing the many bits of tangerine and other citrus fruits for a few weeks, with a view to doing today's brew, so here it is:

X Pale MO 4.65kg
    Wheat Malt 500g
    Crystal 200g
    Special B 200g
    Honey 200g
    Sugar 200g

First Gold 25g @ 60m
    First Gold 35g @ 0m

600g of citrus peel at or around flame out.

On the site I work at, there have been bees for some years now and the honey is from those bees. Looked very high quality stuff, even to my eyes. There was a sale, basically, I think to recover some of the costs that the dedicated bee keeper must incur pursuing his hobby. I got 2x 454g jars and about half of one went into my beer today.

6. Sep 15, 2019 #146

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Whilst in the lakes last weekend, I got dragged to the Lakeland shop in Bowness. I did once make the Marmalade kit from the homemade jam stall and had a vague idea of adding some or all to a beer, so picked one up @ £3. It is Seville bitter oranges. The Saison from today seemed OK with the citrus peel, so I am thinking of perhaps adding some to a Stout for next brewday. 650g can and as I am not really eating much bread these days (SWMBO fantasy world restriction) I don't much fancy making the marmalade again. But, even for a big stout, I feel that this much bitter / sour fruit may be a bit much.

Any thoughts?

7. Sep 22, 2019 #147

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Today's pale ale, Fullers London Pride Grain Bill and some US Hops:

X Pale MO 4,9kg
    Crystal 25 EBC 0.5kg

Simcoe and Centennial, combined:
    20g @ 60m
    20g@ 10m
    20g @ 0m

Even 60g of pellet hops overwhelmed the GF pump filter. The whirlpool I did to sort that out took the bloody thing off completely. Result - a great load of trub in the FV again.

I really don't like pellet hops and am starting to despair of the GF. It cuts out every time, and at lower and lower temps - down to 78C today.

8. Sep 22, 2019 #148

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

You have my sympathy, sounds like a right palaver. I've given up on pellet hops in the boiler altogether and am the happier for it!

9. Sep 23, 2019 #149

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I use Hop Leaf in a bag to reduce the “bits”.

Leaf may be a bit more expensive on a “bang for your buck” basis, but I’ve given up on pellets as even making a Hop Tea out of them clogs up the cafeteria I use.

10. Sep 29, 2019 #150

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Added a further 20g each of Centennial and Simcoe today as a hop tea.

As @Dutto says, the pellet hops don't half gunge up the cafeteria.

11. Sep 29, 2019 #151

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Well, I made up the 6lb (imperial measurements, FGS!) and bunged the marmalade into 3x 2lb Jars yesterday, one of which was added to the initial FV.

Today's Dark beer was thus:
    MO 4.7kg
    Black Malt 230g
    Crystal 300g
    Amber 500g
    Marmalade 900g
    Chocolate Bar 100g

Progress 35g & 25g @ 60 / 10m
    S04, by way of a change from US05, so as to leave more sweetness to counter-act the very bitter Seville oranges.

By way of explanation, the odd looking quantities were just finishing off open bags of grain (except the Amber). The chocolate came from an M&S thingy pack my work colleagues got me 7 months ago when I was off for 9 weeks. It was 70% cocoa solids and came from Ecuador. The marmalade is quite bitter, so I dropped the bittering hops which are 5.2% Alpha.

SWMBO suggested that this would turn out more like a Jaffa Cake than a beer.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  12. Sep 29, 2019 #152

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

Hi Slid +1 on the pellets bloody awful last 2 brews I have had to sanitise my hand and arm to clear the bazooka on my klarstein kettle, going back to leaf in a bag from now on acheers.

Slid likes this.
  13. Sep 29, 2019 #153

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

I absolutely love chocolate orange so hope this turns out well for you!

14. Sep 30, 2019 #154

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Thanks, @Ajhutch! It is one that should not go too wrong - it's pretty dark, for a start, and the grains tend to swamp bad things! My guess is that it could be a tad bitter with fermenting on the oranges goo. If so, the bitterness will doubtless fade in time, like the best of Brewers!

Ajhutch likes this.
  15. Oct 13, 2019 #155

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Another dark stout sort of a beer today at 26L in the initial FV. Very typical Stout profile with:

MO 5kg
    Black malt 500g
    Dark Crystal 500g
    Chocolate Malt 100g
    Molasses sugar 100g

26g Columbus @ FW
    Williamette 20g @ 10m and 25g @ 0mins.
    US 05.
    I really liked the US Stout from the GH book (post 113 above) and this is intended to be similar. May add Simcoe and Centennial as dry hops, since they are open.
    Another option is to blend in the fairly strong beer from the last Parti-gyle.