New zealand pilsner recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I found a new zealand pilsner recipe on you tube but didn't have exactly the same ingredients. This is what I have, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Screenshot_20210611_013032.jpg

I've made some Kiwi Pils (and drank a few in NZ) and most of them have been mostly pilsner malt with up to 10% carapils, they tend to be very light in colour. The hops you've chosen are good ones for the style but I'd use a bit more, maybe another ounce of late hops somewhere. Nelson Sauvin tends to be a bit dominant so I'd use twice the amount of Motueka to NS. My fave kiwi pils hop is Riwaka, I blend it equal parts with Motueka and half the amount of NS. I've pushed my bitterness up a touch too, it's creeping up above 40ibu's now which sounds high for a lager, but it needs it with the carapils.

Correct go onto Gladfield web site for a pilsner, they recommend Gladiator which is what I use for head retention in all my beers very similar to carapils.
As for hops my favourite is Wai-iti but not for a pilsner. The best NZ beer I have had is Stoke Bombardier Kiwi IPA

Do you think it meant Carapils? My understanding that this is very neutral and is just there to provide Dextrine for head retention
Yes; at 3.9 EBC it's a dextrin malt (Carapils is a Weyermann trademark for their dextrin malt). Calling it Caramalt in the recipe is highly misleading since that's a darker crystal that as @BeerCat says does not belong in a pale lager.

Personally i don't think caramalt has any place in a lager. I would prefer biscuit malt and ditch the wheat. Get rid of the 20m addition and put them in at flameout. Use at least 2 packs of yeast.
Agreed regarding the caramalt. Use carapils instead.

I made a version of the 'Lisa likes Nelson' NZ pils from Brewfather that only used Gladfield Pilsner malt. My favourite brew to date. Only issue is some chill haze that I'll correct next time...
20210808_105934.jpg
pilzner.jpg

Back