Newbie Beer Brewer...advice on kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wine brewer here, new to beer.

Which are the better kits? There seems so many to choose....Milestone, Geordie, Woodfordes, Muntons, Muntons Gold, Muntons Premium, Youngs, Brebuddy etc etc

Are they all much of a muchness? is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Personally i prefer the stronger type beers (5.5%+) and really like the belgian style witbiers, framboise and krieks etc

Can anyone recommend any maker etc, not sure which to go for??

Thanks.

generally the 2 can kits are better but are a bit dearer. If you are looking for something decent then I'd recommend a Milestone's or a st. peter's kit. the coopers kits are good aswell but dont think they do any of the styles of beers that you mentioned.
you can obviously increase the sugar if your looking for something a bit more potent or add spraymalt to improve the 'body' of your beer. some people have great brews with the cheaper kits and **** brews with the dearer ones, just depends on your taste. with the beer styles you mentioned i'd advise a 2 can kit if your willing to spend a bit more.

Thanks for the reply....

Trawling through all teh kits....i dont mind spending a bit more if teh outcome is better.

I think i need to read up on teh beer brewing a bit more to understand the tweaking etc that may be possible.

For the Belgian styles you mentioned it has to be the Brewferm kits, 1 can kits, they don't make that much beer, I've just finished brewing their Grand Cru kit which makes 9 litres. Potent stuff though, started at 1075 gravity, finished at 1012, which comes out at 8.3% ABV!! Just need to leave it a couple of months to mature.They do a framboise kit that you wanted. Their Diablo kit seems to be rated by lots of people on here.

For a more everyday drinking I've just started drinking a Woodefords Admiral's Reserve kit that's been a month in a barrel, clear, good long lasting head and tastes great. Apart from falling a bit short of the 5% (think mine came in at about 4.4) you wanted I'd recommend that.

I can really recommend Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge and Admiral's Reserve, the former is the stronger I think, very tasty.

Not an expert but not sure if, in home beer brewing, alcoholic strength trumps taste...

Latest posts

Back