Newbie brewer who is super confused

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Hop Bags, don't have a filter and (after scalding myself with hot wort) I never touch the Boiler until the wort has been cooled.

"Different strokes .... " as they say.
Yup, I never have a problem with hops clogging the filter, just hot break. And I do no chill so I'm transferring hot to the FV.

Hi guys! Apologies for the lack of updates (I am sure you have all been dying to find out how it's all been going!) Anyway I did the Bourbon Porter in October and it worked out very nicely! I have then been searching around for a simple-ish Christmas Ale recipe and got one via reddit, where a very helpful user has given me a few hints and tips. So on Saturday I went to the local brew shop, got the ingredients and went for my first non "here are all the ingredients laid out for you in a box" brew.

Heated up some water and malt extract, and steeped some black barley for 15 minutes. I then roped my wife in, as the brew needed some caramel, which she kindly produced for me. Added that and then brewed with the hops for 30 minutes. Completely forgot about ice, so it took an absolute age to cool down! When it did I put the yeast in, sealed up and, 36 hours later there is come activity on the top of the brew so it all seems to be going ok, at this stage!

Now just need to figure out what flavours/spices to use. Will add them slowly after about seven days (depending on the gravity reading. managed to take one this time and the guys said the aim was for around 1070 and it was 1065 so seems close enough). Thinking Orand and Cloves. Wife thinks some Dates should go in there, not sure on that, and also wondering about Cinnamon and/or maybe one other. Don't want to overdo it though!

Pics for anyone interested:

https://imgur.com/gallery/jjxwDhH

Hi!
What about some ginger and nutmeg, along with your cinnamon? In moderation, of course - perhaps 1/4 teaspoon of each, or less if you want to be more careful.
I'm not so sure about the dates, though.

Yes I am really, really not sure on the Dates idea! Love ginger, that is certainly one I could go with. As you say, I just have to tread carefully. I wonder if I should go either a) orange and cloves or b) Ginger, nutmeg and Cinnamon. I think using all five would be too much, but I guess I have seen plenty of beers with quite a few flavourings in them?

@Herman Bloom
My only comment is that you should be aware you do not have much time left between now and Christmas for your beer to ferment, carb and condition. The rule of thumb used on here for many beers is about 6 weeks from pitching before your beer might be ready to drink, and for complex beers that may be longer. I have read on here of people starting their Christmas beers months in advance so they are fully matured and are ready to enjoy when opened during the Christmas period . My suggestion is to get a small quick brew on the go asap so that you have something which is more likely to be ready in case your Christmas beer needs longer. Lighter beers are ready quicker in my experience. But whatever you do I hope it works out for you.

Yeah, I was concerned about that. The guy I have been speaking with used S-04 yeast though and said he actually bottled after two weeks, and two weeks later it was ready. I will just have to take the gravity and see where we are in a week or so, and keep my fingers crossed!

I have a few bottles of my Bourbon Porter left, so will use that as my Christmas drink if need be. I am only doing small batch brews (five litres) and only have one set of equipment so a second brew is not an option, sadly. Wouldn't have the space to store it even if I did have the gear!

The guy I have been speaking with used S-04 yeast though and said he actually bottled after two weeks, and two weeks later it was ready. I will just have to take the gravity and see where we are in a week or so, and keep my fingers crossed!
As I am sure you understand it's not so much the fermentation and carbing period that will determine whether your beer is ready for Christmas, more the conditioning/maturing stage. But whatever you do in your efforts to have something ready make sure the primary has fully completed before you package or you will run the risk of bottle bombs.

Oh yes, no bottling until I am convinced that it has done what it needs to do in stage one. The condition/maturing stage all I can do is put myself in the hands of the guy who gave me the recipe, and hope! As said, if it doesn't work the Bourbon is pretty nice and I have another box set brew in the cupboard ready to go, if this all goes wrong with the current brew.

Just a final thought . Whether your current brew is OK or not at Xmas 2018 it might still be worth keeping a couple of bottles back and opening at Easter say, or even as late as Xmas 2019 to see how they have matured.

I wonder if I should go either a) orange and cloves or b) Ginger, nutmeg and Cinnamon. I think using all five would be too much, but I guess I have seen plenty of beers with quite a few flavourings in them?
Hi!
Split batch?
One third with Orange/Clove, one third with cinnamon etc and one third with the Full Monty.
I share the concerns of @terrym - those flavours need time to mature and settle down.
October is a good month to start a spiced winter ale.

I don't have the gear for a split. Just the one Bubble (my fv). As mentioned before, I know time is tight but events conspired so that I could only brew this past Saturday, so I will just have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back