Newbie from Ormskirk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoFrills

Reaction score
Hi, I am Sean and new to the forum. I have been brewing kits for about five years and have tried Coopers, Youngs and I am currently using Beerworks. I think I am getting better at it but I would still consider myself a novice.. I have just put on the Beerworks Double IPA and it feels a bit strange not starting with a a kilo of detrox sugar. Has anyone else used this kit and will it work without a sugar injection at the start?

Hi Sean. I was in your neck of the woods this afternoon coming back from Southport on my bike.

Hi, I am Sean and new to the forum. I have been brewing kits for about five years and have tried Coopers, Youngs and I am currently using Beerworks. I think I am getting better at it but I would still consider myself a novice.. I have just put on the Beerworks Double IPA and it feels a bit strange not starting with a a kilo of detrox sugar. Has anyone else used this kit and will it work without a sugar injection at the start?
all the fermentables required would have been included in the kit by the sounds of it. you'll only need extra sugar for priming bottles/keg. i do a mix of kits. some you need to add 1kg (or more in my case) and some come with all you need at a higher price.

Welcome Sean, I haven't made a kit for decades, but a quick googling shows beerworks to be two-can kits containing 3 Kg of extract while the single-can kits contain only about half that. You don't need to add any extra fermentables to a two-can kit as all the sugar is effectively contained in the syrup.
I do recall that back in the day I used to buy a single-can kit and a can of light extract and mix them together without adding any sugar, but this became expensive and I went over to all extract. I might have stayed there as I was happy with the beer but for a massive price hike which nudged me to all grain.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about it for the first 24 hours or so but it turns out it is just a slow starter. It is bubbling away at the minute so looking good. The all grain is where I would like to be at some point but I just don't think I could find the time

Back