Newbie from sunny stoke on Trent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I had 'proper' oatcakes was from a shop in Ashbourne where they were known as Derbyshire oatcakes!!
I did try Sainsburys from another suggestion some time back but found nothing. Perhaps its changed. Need to check but havent beeen in a supermarket for over 3 months now.
And the most famous Stoker must surely be Josiah Wedgewood?
And the best thing for me in the Stoke area was 'The Place', which takes me back asad1
Never got the chance to there it got shut just as I turned 18 I can only hear the stories about the place and never got to experience it 😕

Welcome mate athumb..

I love an oat cake (or 2! 😁)
My uncle lives in Newcastle so we visit the area fairly regularly, well used to before lockdown :laugh8:👍
As mentioned earlier, what kit have you got?
The lager tin I have started off with is bulldog - mad bad larger kit just to see how I get on eventually I want to go onto grain brewing

If you are into lager, then Wilco’s Cerveza is a decent punt for about £12. There’s loads of discussion on this forum about pimping it up, once you get the hand of brewing.

I did start reading about theses Wilko kits last night before I fell asleep 😂 but they seem to have an overall good rating might have to get a few in

I did start reading about theses Wilko kits last night before I fell asleep 😂 but they seem to have an overall good rating might have to get a few in
In my view its better to spend your money on one cans with more malt. . 1.5 kg kits are cheap for good reason. Buy at least 1.7kg kits which don't cost much more. Even better a 'premium kit' which costs more but you get everything in the box.
These people have a good range at present, and the P&P is reasonable ( I have no assocation)
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/

In my view its better to spend your money on one cans with more malt. . 1.5 kg kits are cheap for good reason. Buy at least 1.7kg kits which don't cost much more. Even better a 'premium kit' which costs more but you get everything in the box.
These people have a good range at present, and the P&P is reasonable ( I have no assocation)
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/
Thanks for the time to help, yeah I will have a good look through that later tonight or maybe tomorow but I will certainly look thanks,
And the kit I brought was a bulldog - mad bad larger?? Was told it’s the most popular one in his shop (jolly brewer in stoke on Trent) although saying that he sold out of his premium boxes so I did go for a tin as I was desperate to start playing 😂

I have just looked it’s a 1.75kg
image.jpg

This is the stuff have you every tried this one? If so is it any good?

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum, happy brewing from a fellow Stokie
The Place
Ive been thrown out of 'The Place' a few times Terry back in day, usually after swigging too much Bass in the Golden Cup beforehand and falling asleep up the corner...ah the carefree 80s..

Ive been thrown out of 'The Place' a few times Terry back in day, usually after swigging too much Bass in the Golden Cup beforehand and falling asleep up the corner...ah the carefree 80s..
Bet you woke up with a stonking headache. That's what I remember from drinking too much Bass :roll:

This is the stuff have you every tried this one? If so is it any good?
Not seen that before. My only comments are to suggest that you brew it at at the lowest end of the temperature range the instruction recommend if you are able, perhaps use half DME and half brewing sugar rather than all brewing sugar, and wait until the fermentation has nearly finished before you add the hops
And you might find these useful (although some of the dry hop stuff is less relevant if your kit comes with a 'teabag' of hops rather than loose).

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-dry-hopping-your-beer.61045/

To late it’s in fermentation 😂 but I followed the instructions with it being my first ever brew and see how it comes out.
it does have the teabag hops instructions say leave it to ferment for 5 days the put the hops bag in a cup of boiling water for 10 mins and tip it all in inc the bag and leave for the rest of fermentation roughly 2 days but be pendants on hydrometer reading

Latest posts

Back