Newbie, Geordie bitter stuck at 110g after 7 days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdead

Reaction score
Hi, have been fermenting a geordie bitter for 7 days and it seems to have stalled at 110 gravity 5 short of the reccomended. Gave it a gentle shake and it has been kept at a constant 22/23c. Any tips for getting it down the extra 5?

I would not think a Bitter would go much lower maybe by only a point or 2 so if stable I would Keg/Bottle in a few days. If it went much lower it would have a dry finish and lost any sweetness that I would expect a bitter to generally have

I would not think a Bitter would go much lower maybe by only a point or 2 so if stable I would Keg/Bottle in a few days. If it went much lower it would have a dry finish and lost any sweetness that I would expect a bitter to generally have
Just going off the instructions that say it needs to be 1.005 or below for two days, thought it seemed quite low.

1010 sounds quite normal, but 7 days is too soon really. Give it a few more days but don't worry if it's still 1010 at the end, but by then you'll know it has really finished.

As mentioned above leave for another few days and recheck,if stable then bottle.
Patience is a virtue and most kit instructions will lead you to believe you can be drinking beer in a few days which is not the case...

Check your hydrometer in water to see if it reads correctly it should read 1.000, they are not always accurate,,, mine is out by .005, but 1.010 isn’t that bad like advised if in doubt leave for a couple more days it won’t hurt.

1.010 is perfectly acceptable mate. Was it a kit beer? Because the instructions on some kit beers can be way off the mark.
what temp did you mash at? If you mashed a little higher than expected, you might have some un fermented sugars that will give you the higher FG.

Check your hydrometer in water to see if it reads correctly it should read 1.000, they are not always accurate,,, mine is out by .005, but 1.010 isn’t that bad like advised if in doubt leave for a couple more days it won’t hurt.
Thanks, will check it👍

1.010 is perfectly acceptable mate. Was it a kit beer? Because the instructions on some kit beers can be way off the mark.
what temp did you mash at? If you mashed a little higher than expected, you might have some un fermented sugars that will give you the higher FG.
Yes it was a kit, if anything the temp was a little low at around 18c.

Yes it was a kit, if anything the temp was a little low at around 18c.
You Fermented at 18C or you Mashed at 18C?
either way, I wouldn’t be too worried about this FG reading. Come back to it in a a few days and take a reading again. If it is still the same, then it is stable and fermentation is over. Bottle or keg. Age for a month. Then enjoy 🙂🍻

Back