Newbie Help with my Snub Nose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks for all your replies. Very interesting. I can see the advantage of those fixed pressure relief valves.

@foxy how do you personally brew at atmospheric pressure with your snub nose? Do you remove a post and fit a air lock?

Thanks again all.

buddsy

I have done a few brews in my snub nose. First thing to do is move the handles to the top of the frame. I use the kegland? V1 blowtie spunding valve, as long as the arrows are pointing the right way, its quite straight forward.. maybe on your first brew add some gas, put the valve on and back off till its sat at 10 psi.

I'm still learning myself and have noticed if I go high on temps (2 degrees above recommended) and use pressure(10-12 psi) its done if 3-5 days, but I still leave it for 2 weeks as I ran out of space and time and I know it wont hurt. I plan to sit the yeast ad mid recommended temp next brew and give it time.

It is a great bit of kit, although I wish Id gone for the all rounder as its a pain to handle and clean..

Enjoy..

Many thanks for all your replies. Very interesting. I can see the advantage of those fixed pressure relief valves.

@foxy how do you personally brew at atmospheric pressure with your snub nose? Do you remove a post and fit a air lock?

Thanks again all.

buddsy
Well it never is exactly at 1 ATM, I use the posts and a blow off tube. Because of the restriction going down to 4mm tube on the blow off will create some back pressure, though it is negligible.
I did pressure fermenting a couple of years ago, I don't anymore, I found it didn't really improve UK beer and ales. While it might be OK for American IPA's and lagers, it just doesn't cut it for ales.

I spoke to Will at Keg King, he has very kindly offered 3 sets of 10 and 15 PSI PRV's. I have sent them to EveryoneKnowsADave, he will send one pair to buddsy, leaving one pair up for grabs. To be fair it would be preferable for the remaining pair go to someone who doesn't have a spunding valve or gauge.
Hopefully Gareth at Brew 2 Bottle will stock them.wink...

Last edited:
I spoke to Will at Keg King, he has very kindly offered 3 sets of 10 and 15 PSI PRV's. I have sent them to EveroneKnowsADave, he will send one pair to buddsy, leaving one pair up for grabs. To be fair it would be preferable for the remaining pair go to someone who doesn't have a spunding valve or gauge.
Happy to help get some of these to the UK. They are quite inexpensive and I think Brew2Bottle will be stocking them in the near future. They will be much less expensive than any kind of spunding valve. Blue ones for Ales and purple ones for Lagers.

Hi @buddsy, you're in exactly the same place I was in November trying to work out what is needed to use the snubnose. The short version is following advice here I emailed [email protected] who was really helpful and put together an order for what I was looking for - though I did upgrade the gas regulator since I liked the look of the shiny Italian one 😍.

For pressure fermenting at minimum you'll need a spunding valve to control the pressure during fermentation, a line to connect the beer out to the beer in on the keg (2 black disconnects, a length beer line and associated John Guest fittings). That will allow you to control the pressure while fermenting and transfer the beer to the fermenter. To serve the beer from the keg and if required add extra pressure to the snubnose - you'll need a gas regulator for the cylinder and a gas line from this to a grey gas disconnect (with JG fittings again). Personally since I was looking to connect multiple kegs I also went for a 4 tap gas manifold with four gas lines and disconnects, along with a gas to gas line with disconnects for closed loop transfers from the snubnose to keg - but this isn't required to start with.

Spunding valves :
Basic spring type: Adjustable PRV with Gauge
Spring type with a bigger pressure dial: Adjustable (SPUNDING) pressure relief Valve with Gauge
BrewKegtap's better version with a diaphragm valve: BlowTie Diaphragm Spunding Valve Kit - Version 1
Spundit- v good but v v expensive: SPUNDit 2.0 Spunding Valve for Fermentasaurus, Fermzilla, Snub Nose, Picobrew... | eBay

I hope that helps.

Anna
Nicely done and would wonder if @Chippy_Tea could put this in a sticky for a how too on snub nose as they are getting popular.:thumbsup:

I spoke to Will at Keg King, he has very kindly offered 3 sets of 10 and 15 PSI PRV's. I have sent them to EveryoneKnowsADave, he will send one pair to buddsy, leaving one pair up for grabs. To be fair it would be preferable for the remaining pair go to someone who doesn't have a spunding valve or gauge.

Thanks for sorting this @foxy. Very much appreciated and thanks to Will at King Keg also 👍 Thats really decent of you both 👏

I'll send a pair off to @buddsy once they arrive (can you PM an address buddy please).

As agreed, the other set will be sent to any interested snubnose owner who doesn't currently have a spunding valve/guage set up.

I'll pop a note in the equipment offered forum (foc).

Thanks for sorting this @foxy. Very much appreciated and thanks to Will at King Keg also 👍 Thats really decent of you both 👏

I'll send a pair off to @buddsy once they arrive (can you PM an address buddy please).

As agreed, the other set will be sent to any interested snubnose owner who doesn't currently have a spunding valve/guage set up.

I'll pop a note in the equipment offered forum (foc).

Thought people might be interested in this

Well after being given a freebie with my Apollo S/ Steel fermenter went and got me some more for my PET fermenters. Smallest spunding valve on the market and cheap too. Beats having all that other stuff spread across the fermenter, along with the large gauge. Keep an eye out for these they will be in the UK fairly soon.wink...
002.JPG

Latest posts

Back