Newbie Home Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to the home brewing game and I have already brewed one each of the following Woodforde's kits; Wherry, Admirals Reserve and Bure Gold. I managed to purchase some second hand equipment locally through eBay, 3 x 25 litre fermentation bins, 2 x siphon tubes, 2 x stirring paddles, 48 x 500 ml flip top brown bottles, 63 green wine bottles as well, all for £50! Bargain I thought. Anyway onto the brewing. Unfortunately I was not in possession of a hydrometer at the beginning of the fermentation, so I do not know what the alcohol content will be for all three beers. The fermentation seemed to go okay and following the instructions on the kit boxes, I bottled all three over a two day period which was on the seventh and eighth days from initial fermentation and then moved all the bottles in crates to a room of between 18 and 20 degrees C. Then after 2 days I then transferred the crates to a colder room around 8 to 10 degrees C as per instructions. Having checked some of the bottles of each brew, they do seem to be clearing gradually.

I do have a habit of jumping into any new hobby/project! I am learning as I go and am looking forward to tasting some of by brews in the coming weeks. It is hard to resist not sampling some but I tell myself I must be patient ;-).

Having read some of the different threads on here I see that many of you tinker with the recipes and my intention is to maybe one day in the future do the same. I certainly have plenty of time on my hands as I have been furloughed by my employer since the middle of March and not likely to return until July at the earliest! I suppose I will have to learn to walk before I can run!

Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to have gone on a bit.

Welcome to the forum.
Looking through what you have told us
"I bottled all three over a two day period which was on the seventh and eighth days from initial fermentation and then moved all the bottles in crates to a room of between 18 and 20 degrees C. Then after 2 days I then transferred the crates to a colder room around 8 to 10 degrees C as per instructions. Having checked some of the bottles of each brew, they do seem to be clearing gradually."
I am quite certain you will find you have not allowed enough time for your beer to carbonate properly.
The normal advice given to new brewers is to follow the 2+2+2 rule of thumb, which means two weeks in the FV so that the fermentation has finished and the yeast has finished doing what it does, then 2 weeks in a warm place which allows for all of the priming sugar to be consumed to produce CO2, and a further 2 weeks at least for your beer to condition or mature before you sample, although it may need longer to come good.
Kit instructions are usually overly optimistic regarding timing and geared up to getting you to drink your beer asap which is not the same as having a fighting chance of producing a decent pint.
So I suggest that you get your beer back into a warm place for another 10 days, then you can move it into your cold place to condition. And if you don't do that you will probably end up with flat, slightly sweet beer.

Having already fermented and bottled my beer before finding this forum, I realise I may have made a "school boy error". I will in future follow your advice and use the 2 + 2 + 2 rule. I am now moving my bottled brew back into a warm room for another 10 days.

Thanks for the advice, I am always willing to listen to those who have been at this brewing far longer than me.
Barley Rubble.

I realise I may have made a "school boy error".
We all make mistakes, intended or otherwise. The best outcome however is to learn from them. athumb..
As far as the 2+2+2 rule is concerned, you will find it stands you in good stead until you get enough experience to be able to judge for yourself what is best for you and the beer your brew

Latest posts

Back