Newbie lager kit question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTV

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for accepting me to your forum. Seen some great advice posted.

I’ve been a lager drinker for a while, I tend to like the European lagers like a Staropramen.

So, I had an idea to get a kit and have a go at making my own. I live north Birmingham so went to the Hamstead Home Brew shop to get a starter kit.

I made a start yesterday making a Pilsen Barr lager.

It’s been around 30 hours now since I started the first stage.

This is how it looks. Is this what you would expect? I’ve followed all instructions with the kit to the letter.

Many thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• D7B49405-5F6D-41CB-9EA4-749980B483FE.jpeg
    D7B49405-5F6D-41CB-9EA4-749980B483FE.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 95
I'v not made that one, but beer does seem to have loads of Krausen and foam compared to wine, I'm sure it's fine. Let me know how it turns out, I may give it a go

Yep, spot on. Now just leave it no matter how tempting it is to have a peek for 2 weeks.

Cheers guys. Typical newbie, just don’t want the first batch to be a waste of time. Else I’ll just sulk and not bother again haha.

Instructions said to leave it a week or so and then add sugar, then transfer to bottles and leave for another 2 weeks or so. Sound about right?

Hi!
+ 1 for two weeks initial fermentation.
If you can, chill the beer just before transfering to bottles - a day or two in the cold will aid settling of the sediment.
Thanks. I can seal the bucket and put it in my outside storage, in the back garden.

That should be cooler than in doors for a few days, before I bottle it up.

Back