Newbie question regarding fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update to this. Well it’s actually turned out to be a very nice beer indeed
initially after 2 weeks in the keg it had a very weird off flavour to it? Almost banana/bready kinda smell and taste? Which really put me off. However another week on and hey presto, that off flavour/smell has almost disappeared and it’s very clean fresh tasting, I’m glad i persevered because this would have gone down the drain. Since then I’ve got 3 more brews on the go and temperatures have been stable due to some simple techniques advised by terrym (wrapping cold towels around the fermenters) this is very effective and also pitching the yeast at lower temperatures! Only issues i need to nail down now are with my counter flow wort chiller? Due to hop debris the filter gets blocked? whilst transferring to my fermenter. So I’ve purchased a hop spider and hopefully this’ll help?

I use a grainfather, anything over 150g of pellet hops in the boil will sometimes cause the counter flow chiller to be really slow as it clogs up the filter and the pump can’t won’t work at full tilt. I use a mangrove jacks spider now, it lets some hops through but not enough to interfere with the flow through the chiller.

I use a grainfather, anything over 150g of pellet hops in the boil will sometimes cause the counter flow chiller to be really slow as it clogs up the filter and the pump can’t won’t work at full tilt. I use a mangrove jacks spider now, it lets some hops through but not enough to interfere with the flow through the chiller.
hey there. I’ve bought the same one, so fingers crossed it’ll work well? I actually forgot to use it with my last brew (an oatmeal stout) but the hops used for that brew were very minimal to be honest, I think 100G in total? So was manageable.

Latest posts

Back