Newbie question transferring to a corny keg after conditioning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

Reaction score
I’ve been fermenting my ales and ciders until it’s stopped then transferring them to a king keg with sugar and dining’s to condition for a few days then clear. Im then transferring them to a corny keg. Reading these posts it seems like I’ve not got this right?

am I best to add finings to the brew a couple of days before the end of fermentation then transfer straight into a corny keg with priming sugar. Leave somewhere warm for a few days then move to fridge for a couple of weeks?

or do I add finings as above then transfer to corny keg without sugar and force carbonate?

jyst thinking that moving from bucket to king keg to corny keg increases the chances of letting the nastiest at it?

I must admit that I never use finings and just wait long enough for the beer to clear. Whirl pooling, cold crashing, etc. will also all help.

However, whilst I have a couple of times used the corny as a secondary fermenter which collects a little gas, it is always cold crash, allow to clear and then into the corny and gas on for me.

If you have a corney setup (and CO2 supply) I would say wait for your beer to drop clear in the fermenter, transfer straight to your corney and force/burst carbonate. Transferring it somewhere to add priming sugar to add carbonation is adding an unnecessary step if you ask me.
Having said that, if I want my beer to come out particularly clear or I'm transporting the keg and don't want any yeast residue to get stirred up, I transfer to a corney with a slightly shortened dip tube (bright beer tank) to be crash chilled to 0C for a week before transfer to a serving keg.
I use kettle finings (protofloc) at the end of the boil but don't want to be drinking trotters or fish bits so no other finings touch my beer these days!

Latest posts

Back