Newbie question: will I make a single bottle of wine from this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvados

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Like most newbies, I guess the question to the experienced members is 'is it worth my while trying to produce a bottle of wine from this number of grapes?'

I've been growing this vine for about 6 years now and this year it has produced a relative 'bumper' crop.
It’s the first time I have looked at them and thought it could be possible to actually produce a single bottle of wine.
I have taken photos* and thought I would share before I even start to look at equipment etc.
I count 30+ bunches on the vine

If it's not possible then I still like the fact I have a vine in my front garden...

*[that said I can't see how to do that just yet]

regards, Calva

From 30 bunches you can make more than one bottle of wine :cool:

I did this a couple of years ago, after I started brewing, so I knew about fermentation and had some equipment ready.

You should wait until the end of September, and taste if they are ripe and sweet. The year after my first batch I had to wait until the end of October.

If you can find someone who makes wine in your neighbourhood, that will probably the easiest way to do it.

The first year I did it, I cleaned my grape clusters in a bucket of water with metabisulfate (removing insects and bad grapes), then removed the grapes manually from the clusters into a separate bucket and pressed them manually (with the hand like they did with their feet in the past). Now I can borrow a small press from some friends.

I also need to add sugar to my grapes, they are sweet, but not sweet enough. Easy to measure with a normal hydrometer.

That's great to know.
I hadn't thought about finding a local wine-maker to help. I'm in the Bromley area ((Kent) if anyone can assist!
In the meantime - can someone tell me how to post a photo direct from a local drive?

can someone tell me how to post a photo direct from a local drive?
Three ways to do that
1 copy the picture from the hard drive and right click in the place you're writing the post
2 press the paperclip (attach files button (bottom left) find the file and double click it, then add as thumbnail or full size.
3 press the button to the left of the emoji icon (top middle) and follow prompts.

Apologies folks, I've never had a problem posting photos to forums in the past but I can't do it here. I'm only prompted for URLs (can't cntl+v etc). Not sure if its pop-ups?

Apologies folks, I've never had a problem posting photos to forums in the past but I can't do it here. I'm only prompted for URLs (can't cntl+v etc). Not sure if its pop-ups?
OK, delete history for this website and log out then log back in

Came back to try again and cleared the cache. So here, are the pics from last week.

Is there a simple kit I can buy from Amazon (that you can recommend for beginners( that will enable me to convert these grapes into one or two bottles?

Or, as chthon suggested, anyone that can help/offer this service in the Bromley area?

cheers for your views, Calva

Attachments

• vine 1.jpg
    vine 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 44
  • vine 2.jpg
    vine 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 44
To be honest if there are only enough grapes to make a couple of bottle you could experiment using bought juice as its a lot of hassle using grapes for 2 bottles of wine which will take many months to become drinkable - - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

Latest posts

Back