Newbie Recipe - Advice Wanted!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie90

Reaction score
Hello!

Still very new to the whole brewing thing! For my fourth brew, I thought I wanted to try making my own recipe for a DIPA. However, I'm finding myself reluctant to do it for fear that it will be terrible. So... in your opinion (if you're into hoppy IPAs) will this be awful:

Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 19.36.56.png

According to Brewer's Friend, the IBUs will be too high. But, will this be offset by the relatively high OG? Or is this just too much hops and the beer will be offensively bitter? Or maybe they should be added later in the boil as that seems to bring it down?

If you have any other advice, it's all much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also, I'll be using Wyeast 1056, just realised that I chopped that off the screenshot.

Cheers,
Eddie

I wouldn't be using Citra or Mosaic for bittering. I'd look at something neutral and cheap like Magnum and move these additions and the 15 minute ones to flame out. I'd shoot for 50-70ibus on this one unless you want it to be desperately bitter.

That's one expensive recipe and would try as @Brew_DD2 suggests and change out your additions as you will pick up IBU's that don't register on the software and I would go as far as chilling to 80° then adding your citra and mosaic additions and change out your bittering hops.

Cheers guys. I must admit, I did wonder if I’d gone overboard on the hops but it’s more because of the way the quantities worked out on Get Er Brewed. I’ll freeze some of them and use them on another brew then.

So, are the hops you add during the boil mostly for bittering and not flavour? Then the later additions/dry hops are more for flavouring?

@Obadiah Boondoggle - my favourite mainstream beer is Vocation - Life & Death but I can’t seem to find the IBU for that beer anywhere!

It looks odd that the hopstand additions will give that many IBU's. I wouldn't expect hopstand additions below 100degC to be giving anywhere near those levels of bitterness even with 80g of hops. You could reduce the hopstand to 80degC for 30 minutes and that would give you almost no bitterness and all of the flavour.

I take it you will be building up a big starter if using one packet liquid yeast?

I must admit, I did wonder if I’d gone overboard on the hops but it’s more because of the way the quantities worked out on Get Er Brewed.
Did you order hops in 50g or 100g packs? I use Get er brewed and order my specific recipe on their 'build your own recipe' maker. Then you can just order the exact hops needed for a given recipe. I only brew once every few months so find it easier than storing hops and grain.

Latest posts

Back