Newbie Scotsman living in France

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marko47

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Newbie from SW France. Immigrated here from Scotland two years ago. Know nothing about home brew but have somehow managed to convert an old barn into a bar so need some advice, inspiration etc.

You might like to read 'A Beer in the Loire'! It's about a family who emigrated from London to France and started a brewing business. The book can be found easily online, and the author did a small writeup here.

And finally - as another Scotsman - welcome aboard!

Welcome. I’m a Newbie too. I’m just doing kits at the moment. So far so good. I am building up a little beer stash for the Spring and Summertime. Loads of great help and support here. Best of luck with your barn conversion bar and home brewing journey.

Hello everyone. Newbie from SW France. Immigrated here from Scotland two years ago. Know nothing about home brew but have somehow managed to convert an old barn into a bar so need some advice, inspiration etc.
Well done Mark, and welcome. I don't know what the beer is like down where you are, but up here it's awful. That should be inspiration enough. Advice, don't use French suppliers, they're generally expensive and delivery is dear, too. Order your stuff from thehomebrewcompany in Ireland. Get a full 30 kilos of stuff for a flat delivery cost of £12. They take £ and €, you get a slightly better deal in £ and there's a forum discount. Read Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer.
Good luck and welcome again.

Well done Mark, and welcome. I don't know what the beer is like down where you are, but up here it's awful. That should be inspiration enough. Advice, don't use French suppliers, they're generally expensive and delivery is dear, too. Order your stuff from thehomebrewcompany in Ireland. Get a full 30 kilos of stuff for a flat delivery cost of £12. They take £ and €, you get a slightly better deal in £ and there's a forum discount. Read Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer.
Good luck and welcome again.
Cheers. Agree that the beer down here isn't quite up to scratch. We had an English fella open up a small brewery nearby and his lager was terrific. Not sure he'll open up again after the pandemic.

Good shout on the supply side - thanks.

Cheers. Agree that the beer down here isn't quite up to scratch. We had an English fella open up a small brewery nearby and his lager was terrific. Not sure he'll open up again after the pandemic.

Good shout on the supply side - thanks.
You're welcome. Braumarkt in the Netherlands are good for bits and pieces and have a decreasing delivery scale on the more you spend, but won't crush your malt. Very good for liquid yeasts. Rolling beers will send sachets of dry yeast out at letter prices. Crossmyloof in the UK are good for hops and yeast, but you'd need to check their post Brexit arrangements. None of the others like geterbrewed, malt Miller or brewuk have really got the Brexit thing sorted out yet. Very disappointed with geterbrewed as they used to be my suppliers of choice.

Latest posts

Back