Newbie to brewing - Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlindHarper

Reaction score
Evening guys and thanks for having me.

Now I have brewed a couple of times in the past, though never seriously - Merely chucking loads of mixed fruit juice in to a demijohn or two, adding sugar and yeast, and leaving it - Syphon out in to bottles, and drink. It got me and friends ******, but wasn't enjoyable.

I'm planning on doing a apple cider with peach brew. I have 5 litre of cloudy apple juice and am going to add the peach in secondary. I have bought 1kg of peach puree, which contains ascorbic acid, acidity regulator, and citric acid (in tiny amounts) - is this okay?

Also a question in regards to temperature. Is temperature vital, or does an ideal temperature merely mean a quicker fermentation? Would you advice me getting a heating pad?
Last one - What is the best way to filter sediment (Or to get the sediment to drop) at the very end, prior to (During?) bottling? I'm not opposed to a cloudy cider - I'm English and perfectly used to it - though I can imagine the peach puree could leave "bits".

Thanks

Also a question in regards to temperature. Is temperature vital, or does an ideal temperature merely mean a quicker fermentation? Would you advice me getting a heating pad?

I don't make cider but do make wine with a heat pad i would say as (hopefully) the worst part of winter is behind us you wont need a heat pad if you get into the hobby buy one before next winter.

I don't make cider but do make wine with a heat pad i would say as (hopefully) the worst part of winter is behind us you wont need a heat pad if you get into the hobby buy one before next winter.
Thanks very much. I've only been able to find ones that seem to be for 5-gallon carboys - Do you know of any specifically for 1-gallon demijohns?

My heatpad is a 1gal demijohn size
But a larger one is BETTER esp for doing more than one bottle.

The "Additives" you quote are fine just fine.
Avoid anythg containing Sorbate.

To speed up clearing at the end you can cold crash in the fridge OR just let it clear on its own.
OR use finings.
Syphoning is a skill you will learn quick,Once you can get the last drops out of a demijohn without disturbing the sediment,You will be an acomplished syphoneer,clapa

This is the one i have i didnt buy it from here so you might be able to find it cheaper. (got mine in Wilko but they are sold out)

A 23 litre FV fits perfectly i have also used it for gallon DJ's.

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/heat-tray-the-brew-pad-27x27cm-25w/
1586177464524.png
1586177562456.png

Welcome to the forum
Thanks Banbeer, I look forward to taking my home-brewing journey alongside all you folks :)

@johncrobinson will I not get sub-par results using a heat pad that is quite a bit larger than the bottom of the vessel I'm using? As I only plan on doing 1 single gallon-demijohn brew (To begin with)

@Chippy_Tea Thank you very much mate. I'll check it out :)

No get the biggest heat-pad you can afford.
Your wine will NOT overheat due to using a big pad
The top range ones are temp controlled.
They unfortunatley can be a bit pricy.

TIP. Heated seed propagators from garden centers are good and often better value.
Ones with a heat control are the best (for summer) but any will do

If you take to winemaking you will end up with several demijohns on the go at once.
Better to have the capacity and not need it than need it and not have it.

Last edited:
No get the biggest heat-pad you can afford.
Your wine will NOT overheat due to using a big pad
The top range ones are temp controlled.
They unfortunatley can be a bit pricy.

TIP. Heated seed propagators from garden centers are good and often better value.
Ones with a heat control are the best (for summer) but any will do

If you take to winemaking you will end up with several demijohns on the go at once.
Better to have the capacity and not need it than need it and not have it.
Thanks John, I'll go ahead and get a large one then :)

Jumping on board this so apologies..

I plan to start some beer & cider so can I conclude a heatpad is needed or beneficial?

Im a mere novice. Don't shout at me. :?:

I plan to start some beer & cider so can I conclude a heatpad is needed or beneficial?

Hi @mitch, every question is valid on the forum. As for a heat pad depends on your set up really, as we move into Autumn then the answer is probably yes as it will need to be on during the night as temps start to drop. If you have the budget for a temp controller then even better say an Inkbird or similar so it cuts out when it warms up during the day.

Sorry, another n00b jumping in, I was thinking of the cupboard that has an alarm system/panel (giving of heat) and also the mains/meter in there, I have a thermostat that I can set and get max and min temps, I'm thinking with the door closed and the ambient heat of the alarm panel it may just be in the correct range, or at least to stop it going below the recommended temps.

I didn't know about heat/perfect temperature for brewing as I thought the warmer it got the faster it brewed and was kicking mine off in the summer at like 28 + and yes some one did mention that "it's probably going to taste funky" and I did have it gurgle out the airlock and all down the side.....

Seen the fridges etc. on here ? great idea! I haven't got the space!

Thanks

It depends on the average temperature of your house in winter, i have made wine with the temp getting as low as 15c at night in winter and have never had one fail so for cider its probably not really required but for beer i would say one is a must, i got one for wine making and it speeds up fermentation a lot in winter i would not now be without one.

1600887886509.png
1600887895875.png

I thought the warmer it got the faster it brewed and was kicking mine off in the summer at like 28 + and yes some one did mention that "it's probably going to taste funky"

Again beer has to be kept at the right temperature for wine and cider its not that essential the heat pad i have above doesnt have a temp controller but it settles around 24c - 26c in winter which is fine for wine.

You could try lining the cupboard with tin foil or polystyrene tiles to see if you can maintain a decent temperature.

Another cheap way to warm your FV is to use a water bath and fish tank heater if you have space, there is a guide here - How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV

Compared to the equipment costs involved in "Beer" brewing the extra few quid for a heat pad is really "Small Beer". (sorry about the pun) ;) .

My previous home had electric storage heating so was actually warmer at night than during the day,Regardless of that a heat pad really helped during the winter months.

I do prefer the fish-tank heater option though as the temperature is easy to set to exactly where i want it.
Brew-belts and pads are less accurate in maintaining an exact temperature but are still a LOT better than nothing.

Last edited:
Back