Newbie Upgrade Advice from Plastic Bucket and Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compact

Reaction score
Hi
Apologies if this is ANOTHER newbie question on what to buy.
I have done some reading but a little unsure of the next steps.

History:
I was bought a Bucket and Barrel kit last year. Made 1 batch and liked it.
I then borrowed another kit and made 2 Barrels of Ale from Brupaks, for my wedding. This went down well.
At the same time I have done 2 batches of cider and perry from trees in the garden, with home made carjack press, buckets and Demi Johns.

So a part time hobbyest.
It's now coming up to a big birthday and people have asked what I want.
Apart from World Peace and love to all mankind, I thought why not take the chance to upgrade my home brew kit.

What I don't like about the existing kit:
1) I mixed in the kitchen, left it brewing in the spare bedroom, spilled it in the bathroom bottling and general got told off for making a mess and a smell. I would maybe like to do everything in the cellar or garage, though if I have nicer looking, non-leaking kit I might get away in the house

2) Bottle beer was a faff, bottling Cider, less, but that was because I used larger grolsh style bottles.
The plastic barrels leaked at the taps when the pressure built, due to cheap production quality I guess.

3) I've never had a spoiled batch, but I have heard over time the plastic buckets get scratched.

4) I like shiny new things.

So I've been looking at:
The 30Ltr Ace Mash Bin Looks like a coffee Urn, but as it has a heating element this would open up a new style of brewing for me (I have only used the house temp in the past). Also £99.99 is a good price of a group gift (though I could put more in myself for something better)

I like the look of the SS Brewmaster Bucket though for an occasional brewer should I get a cheaper one?

Would something like the Hoppy 11 Gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter Tank or the Hoppy 8 Gallon Stanless Steel Pot.

Or maybe a better Pressure barrel ??

Basically I don't know anything other than the simple beginners brewing from kits and nothing about heating the water, but a birthday present could be an excuse to get some sexy kit and try to learn more.

Any and all useful tips or suggestions welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! You're not asking for much!!

It's coming up 3am and Ukraine are parading in Rio so I really can't give the Post the attention it deserves however, as a thumbnail sketch I can recommend:

1. Mini-kegs (aka Easy Kegs) instead of bottles.

2. Even after 50 odd years of off and on brewing I think 23 litres is a huge amount (especially if you cock it up and SWMBO expects you to drink it) so I would gear everything to a maximum in the FV of 23 litres.

3. Stainless steel gear is much better than plastic if you can afford it.

4. AG brewing is cheaper, allows you to really explore the beers available and can produce a much better tasting beer.

As Zimbabe march through the stadium I leave you with an adage of a friend who is a Grampian Farmer. Whenever something fails he mutters ...

"Buy cheap - buy dear!"​

... so my advice is to get the best you can afford but at a size that suits your tastes and ambitions. :thumb: :thumb:

Nite nite!

Back