Newbie: Yesterday too sweet, today, off-flavours

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFG

Reaction score
Hi, I've been a lurker here for a while and I've learnt so much but I'm hoping for some help understanding what went wrong.

I'm still a newbie using kits. I started a few years ago and had some good results. I built myself a brew fridge so i can brew in the summer. I use a plastic FV and I put into a keg. Although it has gas adapters I've always used secondary fermentation (if that's the right term).

Recently I had a go with Bulldog raja's reward kit. Starting gravity was 1.045 and the kit was looking for 1.008-1.010 after 10 days. I set the temp to 19.5C. Hop bag in at day 9. On day 14 it had reached 1.012, so I (after reading) let it go another few days and it got to 1.009 on day 19 and I kegged with 100g of brewing sugar.

But it stalled. I tried to read what I could but couldn't find much about a stalled secondary fermentation and I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but I saw a few things about increasing temp and shaking. Tasting the brew I had some regret, as it was perfect IPA flavour except with a bunch of sweetness from the sugar :oops: Anyway I opted to increase the temp to 21-22C, and after two days saw some fizz and tasted less sweet, getting really good. Decided to give it one more day, but today it's heading for nail varnish 😢

I have many questions. Is this related to the slow primary fermentation? Is the appearance of off-flavours always so rapid? And what could I have done differently? Add sugar in smaller quantities and in stages?

Nail varnish makes me think of fusels, which usually are from fermenting too hot. 22c shouldn't have caused this though for minimal keg carbonating. Was your entire primary fermentation at 19.5c?

Reassuring to know re fusel and 22. And that's makeing me re-evaluate. I'll get some second opinions on the flavour. I did once have definite fusel flavours from a heat wave a few years ago (which is why I made a fridge), and maybe I'm imagining that's where it's heading.

Yes it was 19.5 all the way through primary. I have a Tilt device (birthday present) which means I could monitor closely, and measure gravity without opening the FV lid.

So have you added sugar for secondary and tasted it 3 days later ? It will need at least 2 weeks to carbonate and then another 3 or 4 to condition I think.
Sorry if I read it wrong

So have you added sugar for secondary and tasted it 3 days later ? It will need at least 2 weeks to carbonate and then another 3 or 4 to condition I think.
Sorry if I read it wrong
Thank you, it's my lack of experience then. Other kits I've used have gone through secondary rapidly. I've been tasting periodically to learn and I suppose I've over-reacted as the flavour changed so dramatically overnight. I'll be patient....

Should I keep it at 22C?

I remember doing this kit and was very disappointed with it
It stalled and I'm sure it tasted very bland after a couple of weeks

Latest posts

Back