The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supernaut

Reaction score
Hello all,this is my first post so be gentle. Do any of you use iodine as a sterilizing agent? My mate and I are getting ready to get another batch on the go,(an Old Tom type),and last time we used the usual sterilizing solution for all the plastic stuff but used iodine for 2 of the aluminium kegs. Just wondered what you guys thought on the matter.

Cheers.....

Welcome to the forums

My main concern would be that iodine and aluminum react in the presence of water to create a toxic iodine vapour. With a dilute iodine solution and sufficient ventilation, its probably not a big deal but that's your call to make. :pray:

If TS uses it, it will be ok.
I personally use either line cleaner or bleach.
I do however use Iodine for measuring sulphur dioxide levels in wine and cider.

Hi..thanks for your replies. I had,of course,got my metals mixed up..(too early in the morning!!). It was stainless steel I meant not aluminium. It was for the cornies and it was a videne solution. Seemed to go well.

Thanks again... :cheers:

Just my Two pence worth here. Murphy's have had to remove all Iodine based sterilizers from thier product catologe as Iodine is no longer allowed to be used in any food based product/ beverage ;)

I shall be changing once my ioidine bottle has run out

Latest posts

Back