The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all
Well iv opened the door to a new thirst quenching world. iv finally ordered my first beginners brew kit !. Iv ordered my mix that is likened to one of my favourite tipples “Doom Bar”. I’m looking for any tips on what water to use for my virgin batch. Iv done a little reading on other threads and tbh it sounds quite baffling when it comes to using the right water. I live in jersey and the tap water doesn’t taste the best, well not like the water in my birth place of Yorkshire !. Iv read the report and it says Jersey water is moderately hard but no ph levels are mentioned. So what would you folks recommend this total newbie use ?. Go with the tap water or buy supermarket mineral water ?. I know it will be trial and error but I’d like my 1st batch to get an approving nod from my friends. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is this an extract kit or are you mashing grain?

I had a quick look at Jersey water and it didn’t seem too bad. It is a bit hard at around 150ppm so you might want to dilute your tap water with an equal volume of low mineral bottled water - Tesco Ashbeck is the standard.

The water is slightly better suited to pale hoppy ales than darker malty ales so you could add a little calcium chloride. What volume are you brewing?

Thanks for the reply. Im doing 23L. The kit iv bought is as follows. How much calcium chloride do you recommend and once treated will I have to leave the water to stand for sometime before adding the kit ?
All Grain Doom Bar Bitter Style Recipe Kit 23L

A Recipe Pack Containing All The Ingredients And Instructions
To Brew A 23L Version Of Doom Bar

Ingredients Supplied Are As Follows
Crushed Maris Otter Malt 3900 G
Caramalt Malt 300G
Roasted Barley 200G
Chinook Hops 20G
Fuggles Hops 20G
S-04 Yeast
1X Protafloc Tab

You don’t need very much, just enough to bring the chloride ions up a bit so 3g-4g will be enough.

Just add the calcium chloride to your mash water before you start heating it and give it a stir. It won’t all dissolve immediately but it will while the water is heating. No need to wait.

You don’t need very much, just enough to bring the chloride ions up a bit so 3g-4g will be enough.

Just add the calcium chloride to your mash water before you start heating it and give it a stir. It won’t all dissolve immediately but it will while the water is heating. No need to wait.
Much

Great stuff, your advise is much appreciated. Il let you know how I get on. :beer1:

Much

Great stuff, your advise is much appreciated. Il let you know how I get on. :beer1:

Well after watching further tutorials on YouTube I decided I probs bit off more than I could chew going for a BIAB for my first brew, so I went for a simple Yorkshire bitter EK. I did as you suggested with the water and bottled it last night,, the brew comes in at 3.8abv and tastes amazing, I’m over the moon. The AG kit will come out after iv done a couple more and feel confident to make the leap.
Once again thanks for the advice 👍🏽

Excellent, great job!

Progress as you feel confident enough to try. Many of us now brewing all-grain started with extract kits and carried on using them for quite a while - for me, about a year. Watch videos, read, ask questions.

All the best for this, and every 😉 brew.

Excellent, great job!

Progress as you feel confident enough to try. Many of us now brewing all-grain started with extract kits and carried on using them for quite a while - for me, about a year. Watch videos, read, ask questions.

All the best for this, and every 😉 brew.
View attachment 42016

First little sample (4 weeks) and I’m over the moon,,,looks and tastes great !. Got a Directors in the FV and two more kits ordered ,,, loving my new merry hobby
98A34697-634B-4B20-B9CF-AC41D4E58B84.jpeg

Back