Newby Grain Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAmazingGonzo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a fairly amateur brewer having done about half a dozen kits, all with decent results.

I've been offered the chance to use a Grainfather for a bit, but have very little idea about grain brewing.

Someone pointed me in the direction of your forum and suggested I may get some information here, but there's so much, I'm not sure where to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Gonzo

Good evening, and congratulations! Grainbrewing: it's extracting the sugars yourself from the grain, instead of having them preprocessed as in extracts. Plenty of grainfather-brewers here, but even the other half-automated brewers could be of assistence! You could even do a kit in a grainfather, but that would be a bit weird...

I would suggest for ease to try one of the pre made up kits for all grain brewing, just choose your kit and generally all the grains hops protofloc tablet and instructions come with them. All can be brewed in the GF just adapt slightly the method or ask on a specific kit which somebody may have done before for any change of method. Good luck

Welcome! The Grainfather is a bit intimidating at first but simple enough once you've used it once or twice. Does your model have the bluetooth controller or the previous one (with a plastic cover).

What do you fancy brewing for the first batch?

Haha,

Thanks for the input everyone, @the baron @Zephyr259 @Oneflewover @Leemond @Slid @Harbey

Definitely not scared me off @GerritT

I will have a good read over all the information and suggestions you've given.

One thing I will say, two of my favourite styles of brew are probably hoppy, citrusy IPA's, similar to the likes of Beavertown Neck Oil and Brewdog Elvis Juice or Hazy Jane and malty flavoured stouts like the Waffle and Blueberry Breakfast Stout, from Vocation Brewery and Yeastie Boys.

Any suggestions of recipes for those kinds of things would be greatly appreciated.

As I'll only have the Grainfather for a limited time, I don't mind throwing myself in at the deep end, so don't go easy on me.

Cheers

Haha,

Thanks for the input everyone, @the baron @Zephyr259 @Oneflewover @Leemond @Slid @Harbey

Definitely not scared me off @GerritT

I will have a good read over all the information and suggestions you've given.

One thing I will say, two of my favourite styles of brew are probably hoppy, citrusy IPA's, similar to the likes of Beavertown Neck Oil and Brewdog Elvis Juice or Hazy Jane and malty flavoured stouts like the Waffle and Blueberry Breakfast Stout, from Vocation Brewery and Yeastie Boys.

Any suggestions of recipes for those kinds of things would be greatly appreciated.

As I'll only have the Grainfather for a limited time, I don't mind throwing myself in at the deep end, so don't go easy on me.

Cheers
You'll be interested in this: https://www.brewdog.com/beers/diy-dog

Haha, superb!

Nice one, thanks for that, but where to start?
If I were you I'd go with the special allgrain grainfather kits. Bit more expensive that buying everything seperately, but very convenient in as it's a thing less to worry about.
Just get that grainfather working, get to know the operating of the machine and get the process under the belt.
No need for unnecessary steep learning curves.

Once you have a bit of feel with allgrain, dive into recipes: what does what, and why, and how.

If you like BrewDog, this is a great place to start: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/robs-recipes-son-of-punkie-ipa-recipe-kit/

Out of stock at the mo but it'll be back in no time. You get enough here for two brews of about 20Litres so great value and I've done a few of them and they work really well every time. I even added a load of grapefruit to one in order to make it more Elvis like.

If also get watching some YouTube vids. There are loads but I'd give this series a go as it's the official Grainfather channel and does a good job of step by step instruction:

Latest posts

Back