Newby pressure barrel questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE
So I put in about 20L of cider and primed it with sugar.
I left it for 2 weeks but needed room in the fermenting fridge. Before i took it out i used a throwaway CO2 cartridge. It obviously was already gassed as the valve released the excess CO2.
I then moved it out to the cold shed.
Yesterday I thought i would give it a test. After pulling 2 pints the flow all but stopped.
I used another cartridge and left it 20min. I opened the tap and it almost exploded out.
Today I managed about another 2 pints before it stopped flowing.
This surely can be correct can it?
Any ideas?
Personally I don’t like them for that very reason! I can consistency with bottle, although you’ve got more to store than just a keg.

I suggest fitting a Schrader valve and checking with a low-pressure tyre gauge. You may have a slow leak. I normally need to use one or two bulbs to dispense a whole barrel. But the pressure can 'recover' if you drink one or two pints a day. It stops dispensing but is ok the following day as CO2 gets released from the beer/cider.

Kelper
Thanks for that.
I have left it for a few days so will see what happens. I know that a schrader valve is a tyre valve. is this a direct replacement for the s30 valve or an addition?
Thanks

The best addition I made to my King Kegs was a 0-15psi pressure gauge to the lid. Replacing the seals every year or so also helps. As @kelper says you may well have a slow leak that is releasing all your priming pressure. Generally speaking I can prime a batch with 100g sugar, secondary carbonate, then drink at a rate of 5-6 pints a week until it's finished, with no need to re-prime. I do have S30 valves on the lids to add CO2, but don't really need to.

Latest posts

Back