Newby questions regarding temperature challenges!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnyOwl

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just found the art of homebrew, although I think i've started at the worst possible time with the temperature challenge!

Can I ask some specific questions which I can't seem to find anywhere.

1 - I currently have a stout in a King Keg (top tap) and its completed it's secondary fermentation and will be ready to drink soon. I want to keep it in a room temperature 18c-23c. Will I have issues with the quality of the beer if the keg stays in that temperature range? I have a bar shed but i'm presuming that the temperature range in the bar would be way too high?

2 - After I pour the first pint out of the barrel, how long will the beer last from this point? I'll be using a Co2 canister if that makes a difference to the answer.

3 - I also have a Belgium Dubbel at 7.2% in the main fermenter but I brewed this way too hot in the first few days. The temperature of the beer was at 32c for the first 24 hours and then dropped down to about 27c for a few days and then the rest of the time it's been at 22c-24c. What are the odds that this beer will be ok to drink?

Any advice will be appreciated as I navigate these early brewing days!

JD

1. I've kept my stout in a KKTT in my shed for about a year - temp fluctuations and all and It's still fine (just finished it)
2. It should keep for way longer than you can keep from drinking it! As long as your disinfection regime is good. Just don't ever let the pressure drop so as it glugs back in air.
3. You might get some slightly whiffy esthers, but I think you'll get away with it. If so just mature for longer.

Hi,

I've just found the art of homebrew, although I think i've started at the worst possible time with the temperature challenge!

Can I ask some specific questions which I can't seem to find anywhere.

1 - I currently have a stout in a King Keg (top tap) and its completed it's secondary fermentation and will be ready to drink soon. I want to keep it in a room temperature 18c-23c. Will I have issues with the quality of the beer if the keg stays in that temperature range? I have a bar shed but i'm presuming that the temperature range in the bar would be way too high?

2 - After I pour the first pint out of the barrel, how long will the beer last from this point? I'll be using a Co2 canister if that makes a difference to the answer.

3 - I also have a Belgium Dubbel at 7.2% in the main fermenter but I brewed this way too hot in the first few days. The temperature of the beer was at 32c for the first 24 hours and then dropped down to about 27c for a few days and then the rest of the time it's been at 22c-24c. What are the odds that this beer will be ok to drink?

Any advice will be appreciated as I navigate these early brewing days!

JD
Agree with everything SB says

1. Temperature only matters at mashing and fermenting stages - once it's ready the temp will make no difference. I agree with you - a stout should be consumed at those temperatures and certainly not chilled :beer1:

2. As long as it takes you to drink it

3. If you don't want it - send it over to me - chances are it will be fine

Regarding the Dubbel....you may have some esters depending on the yeast used and some higher alcohol notes...but with aging these will dissipate and soften and will almost certainly leave you with a highly drinkable beer in a few months. Belgian yeasts are often happy working at temperatures in the mid 20's and some breweries over there allow the fermentation temperature to free-rise...sometimes into the 30's.

Thanks for the responses, all very reassuring!
And if your worried about your PB holding pressure - here's a photo of my KKTT as mentioned above with pressure gauge after a staggering 270 days (I have a saddo spreadsheet that I keep records on)

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 32
And if your worried about your PB holding pressure - here's a photo of my KKTT as mentioned above with pressure gauge after a staggering 270 days (I have a saddo spreadsheet that I keep records on)

So silly question of the day.....

Can you actually put too much Co2 into the pressure barrel?

I've bought one those bigger cylinders which you keep topping up. Is it just a case of adding the Co2 if you get the glugging or should you keep topping up to prevent you having the glugging?

Short answer no - the pressure relief valve will blow off. I have only had it happen to me once when I was low and put 2 bulbs in. Just a short blast from your cylinder is enough.

I've bought one those bigger cylinders which you keep topping up. Is it just a case of adding the Co2 if you get the glugging or should you keep topping up to prevent you having the glugging?
Hi there :-)
If by 'glugging' you mean air going back into the barrel via the tap while you're dispensing then you definitely want to avoid this: the air is likely to oxidise the beer and make it go off. A teeny bit of air won't matter too much though so don't panic if it's already happened.

You'll also find that initially the pints you pour from the PB are very heady - you'll only get about half a glass of beer and the rest is head, then after a few pints the barrel will deliver in the "Goldilocks" zone, then you'll start running out of pressure and have to top up....it's a juggling act.

Latest posts

Back