Newcastle UTD.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the Newcastle fans they must have thought they had finally got rid of Mike Ashley but it might not be all doom and gloom -
The consortium's withdrawal could pave the way for a takeover by American entrepreneur Henry Mauriss, who has registered his interest in Newcastle and remains extremely keen for the acquisition to happen.

A Saudi Arabian-backed consortium has ended its bid to buy Newcastle United.

The group, which included Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers, had agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Mike Ashley in April.

The deal was still being scrutinised under the Premier League's owners' and directors' test and it is understood PIF ran out of patience.

The consortium said that it was with "regret" that it had pulled out.

"As an autonomous and purely commercial investor, our focus was on building long-term value for the club, its fans and the community as we remained committed to collaboration, practicality and proactivity through a difficult period of global uncertainty and significant challenges for the fans and the club," the investor group said in a statement.

"Ultimately, during the unforeseeably prolonged process, the commercial agreement between the Investment Group and the club's owners expired and our investment thesis could not be sustained."

The consortium's withdrawal could pave the way for a takeover by American entrepreneur Henry Mauriss, who has registered his interest in Newcastle and remains extremely keen for the acquisition to happen.

Read in full Newcastle takeover: Saudi Arabian-backed consortium pulls out of bid

This is how I feel about Newcastle’s failed takeover
giphy.gif

My Grandad was a massive Sunderland fan he lived in a small place called Shiney Row and worked as a coal miner there many many years ago, i am not a Newcastle fan but SWMBO is and i want to see the back of Ashley as much as they do.

Shiney Row is a village in Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear, England. One of the most notable people who was born in Shiney Row is Sir George Elliot, 1st Baronet, owner of the factory that produced the first Transatlantic telegraph cable. Wikipedia

It’s shocking what’s happened. Absolutely shocking.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Looks like they'll get the last laugh - The consortium's withdrawal could pave the way for a takeover by American entrepreneur Henry Mauriss, who has registered his interest in Newcastle and remains extremely keen for the acquisition to happen.

Who would buy a team like Newcastle who think they're a big club. Last won the league in 1927 the cup in 1955 and the Fairs Cup in 1969 and nothing since. Just think a 50 year old fan has never seen them win anything.

Who would buy a team like Newcastle who think they're a big club. Last won the league in 1927 the cup in 1955 and the Fairs Cup in 1969 and nothing since. Just think a 50 year old fan has never seen them win anything.
They have the potential and the fans to be a bigger club. Packed out stadium which holds over 50 thousand. Man city don't even come close to having that many fan's. So if the right investor comes along then they have every chance of making it big.

It all depends on how you measure a big club, some think trophies make them a big club even though they have won nothing in years others measure the size of a club by the support they get home and away and the length of time they have been playing in the top flight therefore in my view Newcastle are a big club and they will be bigger once Ashley has gone and they get some money to spend.

Plenty of clubs have never won anything of note. Trouble with Newcastle is Mike Ashley has never really wanted them to win anything.

The costs involved in running a successful club these days are ridiculous. Who was it that said the way to become a millionaire was to start as a billionaire and buy a football club?

Arsenal thought they had it cracked when they moved to a new stadium to keep up with United, then the 'new money' moved in. FFP came along to counteract the new money, but then it turned out that any club with a lawyer can just ignore it.

A Saudi takeover could have led to Newcastle winning the league, but equally it could have led to them being relegated, or even folding. Just look at Wigan - soundly run club, even in the premiership, and now being relegated through a points deduction for going into administration - a month after being bought, with rumours that the owner had bet on them being relegated...

As a Newcastle fan for over 40 years, it feels like just another bump in the long road to better times.

I can't say I'm surprised by the news that Ashley tried to renegotiate more money after the exclusivity deal expired. It's par for the course that he'll milk anything as much as he can.

... then the 'new money' moved in. FFP came along to counteract the new money, but then it turned out that any club with a lawyer can just ignore it.
... I see where you're going with that, but I don't think we can assume the full consequences of the Man City Vs UEFA case at CaS are all understood, just yet :?:

For example ...
The deal was still being scrutinised under the Premier League's owners' and directors' test and it is understood PIF ran out of patience.
... this suggests that the Premier League have come to the conclusion that it's safer to NOT make a decision on the basis of parties withholding information and being uncooperative, than it is to make a decision and then have to "justify" it further down the line :?:

Cheers, PhilB

.. I see where you're going with that, but I don't think we can assume the full consequences of the Man City Vs UEFA case at CaS are all understood, just yet

It wasn't really a pointed comment at Man City - all the big clubs in Europe have the same outcome - PSG, City twice, Chelsea. Whether European or domestic, they wriggle out of at the very least a large proportion of their punishments every time. Same happened in the corruption trials in Italy. There's far too much money in football for rules to get in the way.

There's far too much money in football for rules to get in the way.
... well sort of, yes ... but look what just happened, a consortium with the financial backing of one of (if not the) richest of oil rich states in the world, just failed to get past the Premier League's "fit and proper persons" rule :?:

And to be clear, I wasn't talking only about Man City either ... that was just the most recent example ... the media love to present these events/failings as the "authorities" (FIFA, UEFA, Premier League, whoever) failing to apply their rules ... but each time these things happen they learn how to identify, and thus close another loophole :?:

Cheers, PhilB

... well sort of, yes ... but look what just happened, a consortium with the financial backing of one of (if not the) richest of oil rich states in the world, just failed to get past the Premier League's "fit and proper persons" rule :?:

I'm not sure they did though. It wasn't rejected, just took too long. And let's face it, if they don't have the patience for a 6 month wait for a takeover, how much patience are they going to have waiting for trophies to pour in?

I admire your optimism though (genuinely), and hope you're right. As a Luton fan (who didn't have the right lawyer, and were used as a scapegoat and deducted 30 points to effectively kick them out of the league - for far lesser crimes than Sheffield Wednesday) who are now run by a frankly amazing board, I'd love to see it.

"Where were you where were you where were you when you were **** where were you when you were ****"
(For the non footballing members reading the above was sung by our opposing fans in many games when we started to climb the table)

I was there when we were ****.

and a little warning to Newcastle fans you will be buzzing when the money comes in and it will bring you success it will also bring you disappointment, we used to worry about relegation every season, staying in the PL and hoping to win a cup was the main goal and winning a game was massive but once you have tasted success then comes the disappointment, you expect to blow away lesser opposition and that often bites you on the ****, you expect to win every game even though you know thats almost impossible (few teams have gone unbeaten for a whole season) and when you lose and the opposition get a few points ahead (read Liverpool this season) the frustration is as bad as when you were back in the bad old days, i am not saying i would have preferred them not not to have taken the oil money as football is now a business and without it you are going to be at the lower end of the league hoping to stay up every season, some fans say they wouldn't want their club to be taken over by a multi millionaire and i respect that but when i think about what we have achieved over the last few seasons compared to when we played in the second and third division i am glad the money came to us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back