Newly Discovered Asteroid 2020 XX3 on course for a close encounter with Earth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read that this Asteroid 2020 XX3, discovered on 10th December will pass very close to Earth on 18th December. That would have just finished the year off nicely wouldn’t it?!
https://watchers.news/2020/12/12/asteroid-2020-xx3/
Yeah, that would have been the icing on the cake! Looks like it's pretty small though, and this kind of thing happens all the time - there have been loads that have been bigger and loads that have been closer.

Yes, I was surprised to see it was the 102nd to come within 1LD in 2020. Even at just approximately 8 metres across, travelling at a speed of just under 6 km per second I’m sure it would have made a bit of a dent!,

Yes, I was surprised to see it was the 102nd to come within 1LD in 2020. Even at just approximately 8 metres across, travelling at a speed of just under 6 km per second I’m sure it would have made a bit of a dent!,
I think a lot of it would have burned away on re-entry but if not then yeah, that's going to make a hole!

I watched a video of that one. What struck me was that although it looked like a missile zooming in and big explosion, everyone just kept on driving like nothing was happening.

Back