Next brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
Well i have my 2nd brew sat in the brew fridge happily bubbling at 20° so while my brew fridge is being used i want to start another brew and leave it in the cellar to ferment as it has a constant temp of around 9-12° down there so i plan on doing a lager using mj bavarian lager m76 yeast so if it goes to plan this is what i will do, ferment at 9-12° until it’s almost at expected fg by then my brew fridge should be free so i will put it in there and up the temp to around 20° for a diacetyl rest for a couple of days and dry hop in this period too. So I’m just not sure of the next step do i cold crash then transfer to secondary, condition at around 18° for a couple of weeks then rack and back in the fridge or do i cold crash and rack straight from primary then condition in bottles for a couple of weeks at around 18° then back in the fridge Or does it work either way or have i got it all mixed up.

My understanding (or at least what I am planning to do when I finally brew my lager!) is after the rest you crash in the fv (no 2nd needed) and bottle/keg from there. If bottling then prime and leave them as you normally would.

I crash mine in primary once it’s hit FG. My first brew was lagered for 6 weeks and still carbed up fine in the bottle. The current one is going to get 2wks lagering, a dose of gelatin and force carbed because I want to start drinking it it at half term.
John Palmer (in How To Brew) recommends 2-3wks lagering if you’re going to bottle condition, but I’ve got away with a lot longer in the past.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the advice I know where I’m at now.

So I’m closing in on my next brew with extract, dme, yeast and dextrose i have over from buying additional stuff from my first couple of kits. One question i have is will one packet of yeast do the job ok, I’m planning on using 2.4kg of lme, 500g of dme and 1kg of dextrose with a 10g packet of Bavarian lager yeast M76. I plan on fermenting at 10-12° then following all the diacetyl rest, cold crashing, racking and conditioning as normal but would it be better to add another packet of yeast or will the one 10g packet be ok. Also if i will be better off using 2 packets of yeast would it do any harm adding the 2nd packet 3 days into primary, as I’m planning on brewing on Friday but a 2nd packet of yeast won’t be here til Monday

Last edited:
Back