Next recipe suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilM

Reaction score
Looking to do my 6th brew and I’m looking for any suggestions of which style to brew next. So far I’ve brewed these:
Pale Ale (twice)
Belgian Blonde (twice)
Imperial Stout (once and it was a complete winner)

My aim is to brew different styles to gain as much brewing experience as possible.

Have a BIAB setup which I’m starting to feel at home with.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (and a bit of info why that style would help me gain experience)

What do you think?

Good time of year to brew lagers whilst the weather is colder if you can control your temperatures? I like to do at least one at this time of year and whilst I control the temperature initially they then go out in the garage to get lagered by the British weather. (I'm assuming you're in the UK)
Lagers are a good way to see if there are any off flavours as they have nowhere to hide.

Nice idea but not in the UK and Swedish winters and -20 is a bit too cold.

I'm currently getting up for AG#5 myself which I think will be a Belgian wit - how about that, isit rather different from the Belgian blonde you've already done (and you could try a multistep mash if you're really daring!)?

I reckon brew a style that you know you like. Don't really see the value in brewing something you aren't that fussed about. I mean, if you aren't that into a particular style, how many times are you going to brew that style in your life?

If you want to hone your skills and see where you're at, maybe try a clone recipe. I would avoid doing a clone of something you can easily get though. Or a mass produced beer like Coors, Bud etc. (you might as well just buy them instead of going to all the effort). But perhaps a beer that you really like but are unable to buy locally.

A saison could be a good choice. Can you recommend a recipe?
I did a Citra saison that was lovely, the recipe is on here somewhere. Or Google a saison dupont clone. I do recommend using a liquid yeast though and keeping the ferm temps high if you can.

Just thought I'd stick this in here as it's relevant for recipe creation. When you're left with grain and hops from a brew day, what do you do? I've got a mish-mash of things left over and obviously want to put them to good use i.e Make Beer but batch sizes are quite large to get through (the drinking) and all the ingredients aren't needed in one single recipe so how do you all go about using your surplus?

I've got 1.2kg Pale, 0.4kg Crystal, 0.27kg Choc Malt (can top these up) & 70g Hallertau Hersbrucker Hops, 85g Saaz, 85g Styrian Goldings and 85g Cascade so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great to hear!

I don't see an IPA on there which I find surprising, take your favourite pale ale recipe and make it stronger (if you wish) and put in a hefty dry hop.

An American Porter would be my recommendation, purely because I'm planning one next time home and it will be my first dark beer.

Saisons are interesting beers, but I'm not a fan.

I have a good recipe for an Old Peculiar clone.
I've done this twice and had people comment how close it was to the real thing.

I have a third one brewing as we speak.

Back