Next red wine kit recommendation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBoy

Reaction score
After several hundred points of beer I recently started brewing wine.

Started off with a cheap Cantina Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit for just £26, actually quite drinkable plonk in a stupidly short amount of time.
Next the Beaverdale 5 Gallon Cabernet Shiraz Wine Kit for £42. Really quite good, as nice as some wine I buy... And I only bought this as it was the only beaverdale in stock.

I wonder what next? I only drink red, normally 8 quid a bottle from Naked or Laithewaites. Is it worth going up to a premium brand or is the mid price kit the best option? In either case what brand... I particularly like malbec and cabernet sauvignon.
What's the sweet spot for price Vs quality?

I'm currently on the Beaverdale oaked Shiraz and for the price I don't think I can go better. The 'Simply' range of Red wine or bitter is good for about half the price.

You can go different though which is part of the fun. My best white so far is an apple and elderflower, and I've had several good mixed reds using Red grape juice plus red berries of various types. Just experimenting putting oak chips in everything and seems to be working.

Currently finishing a basic cider kit, with a foochow, and two tea wines on the go.

Seems like the brands keep changing or rebranding... Lots of good things about kenridge but I don't see them in my normal stores. Confusing too, one site says Beaverdale is replaced but others are still selling it. I saw great reviews on Winexpert but comments the range has changed, however online it's still available.

I'm quite happy around the £30-35 mark. My advice is to be guided by your taste buds. The more you spend, the better the results will be, only you can judge what's worth the extra cash.
I only drink reds by the way

Cheers. Tom

I can only repeat what has been said the more you pay the better the finished wine just pick a wine you like and a price you can afford.

seems like the brands keep changing or rebranding... Lots of good things about kenridge but I don't see them in my normal stores.
This is the new branding for what was Kenridge Classic.

1605346454028.png

While I'm at it, this was California Connoisseur. (and I believe this will also replace Beaverdale, I always thought they were the same)

1605347169034.png

Last edited:
I did read that the quantity of compound has reduced to the same amount as the On The House kits.
As long as it tastes ok I'll drink it 🙂

Cheers. Tom
It's supposed to be more concentrated (less water) so should be the same end product. We'll see.

I did a VineCo 30 bottle Shiraz a few months ago, but I added too much water ( don't ask!), so to recover it I added a Califonia Connoisseur 6 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon. I have to say it was bloody marvelous! A bit too oaky for my taste when newly bottled, but is settling down with time. In fact, it was so good, I've tried again but this time with the On The House Shiraz and a Califonia Connoisseur 6 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon but I've held back on the oak this time, only added the oak from the 30 bottle kit. It's nearly finished fermenting so will report back.

In terms of what was in each kit, basically identical, if you didn't look at the box the contents probably came from the same manufacturer I'd say, packaging of the juice, additives all pretty much the same, all from Youngs if I remember rightly.

Chris

Last edited:
Now it is all clear after the major rebranding, much as stated above.

I too was convinced that Cal Con and Beaverdale were from the same manufacturer but possibly a different importer.

Either way, we now know both have shrunk to 6L.

Beaverdale have returned as Beaverdale but as LED_ZEP says, Cal Con is now On the House.

Last night my wife and I did a taste test. Cal Con Shiraz (15/10/20) vs OTH (26/11/20) Shiraz.

Perhaps early days but there is a big difference. Apart from the 12.5% vs 11.5% abv, the CC has much more body, taste, everything.

To put it in context, I would say the OTH is still better than a £30-35 kit, but not as good as the old CC or Beaverdale.

I'll wait a while and do a taste test again but I can't see the OTH catching up.

I have a Kenridge Trilogy and a Vineco Trilogy bottled and ready to compare in a while. Should be interesting.

I can only repeat what has been said the more you pay the better the finished wine just pick a wine you like and a price you can afford.
I would normally agree, but having done a Beaverdale Merlot which was pleasant enough but lacking in body, I spent a few extra quid and bought a Wine Expert kit. It was definitely more full bodied but had a pronounced, difficult to describe ‘kit’ flavour. I think that next time I’ll revert to Beaverdale and chuck a load of extra grape juice concentrate in it.

having done a Beaverdale Merlot which was pleasant enough but lacking in body
Same. I think it's their worst red kit. It's too soft by far and feels like one a small jump up from the add-sugar kits. The chateau du roie or whatever it's called I quite like.

Same. I think it's their worst red kit. It's too soft by far and feels like one a small jump up from the add-sugar kits. The chateau du roie or whatever it's called I quite like.
Ohh fantastic news 😉 look what arrived in the post.. I also made a wineworks merlot and as you say lacking body but drinkable. I’m now thinking this is gonna turn out the same. I just fancied a small batch this time. I have that wine expert chateau de roux ageing. As you said seems more like it, would though with 8lt if juice in the box and over £50 bucks.

Suppose it’s only a extra tenner for the wine expert. But I lost around 3 litres racking it. But it’s pretty good and strong.

Attachments

• 40804460-01CE-4BEC-BDFA-26468A8597E8.jpeg
    40804460-01CE-4BEC-BDFA-26468A8597E8.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back