Next up... Oatmeal stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jason i have one on order, let us know how it goes and any tweaks you do athumb..
Hi Rodcx500z, kept it simple and followed the destructions except for using half light DME and half brewers sugar instead of the 1kg of sugar. It came out at a respectable OG 1.05. It’s bubbling away happily now. Had a taste of the wort before pitching the yeast and it was ok, nothing too exciting. I am impressed with the packaging though.

For some reason mine has stalled and will not restart. oh well, got enough ingredients to try again.
Odd... so has mine. It’s stuck at 1.03. I’ve given it a bit of a swirl and upped the temp a couple of degrees to see how it goes. I may siphon it to another fv and add a kilo of dme boiled in a litre or two of water to see what happens. I’ve tasted the wort and it’s not off but does taste a little thin. Have you got any further with yours?

No movement what so ever, dead as a dodo. Thick and sweet mine is. Too sweet. I am going to prime a new solution with a sample of the liquor and a different yeasts (so called recovery yeast) and see if I can get that going separately, if it does then I will pitch that in a new fermenter with the rest and see what happens. I am going to brew another oatmeal stout and see if it is ok this time, i have brewed the same before perfectly at 18/19 degs

As its an Oatmeal, what I always do to make a smoother drink is either cold steep the roast and chocolate grains or for that recipe try adding everything bar the MO and malted oats at the mash out stage. As its only your second brew just try the first method makes a big difference.
Foxy sorry bit confused on this process; can you just clarify mash out. Are you saying everything other that teh MAris Otter and malted oats only go in for 10-20 minutes at 77 degrees at mashout stage?

Foxy sorry bit confused on this process; can you just clarify mash out. Are you saying everything other that teh MAris Otter and malted oats only go in for 10-20 minutes at 77 degrees at mashout stage?
Yes or as Gordon Strong puts it at vorlauf, or you can either cold steep or hot steep.
https://www.mrbeer.com/blog/post/steeping-and-mashing-grains-101Gordon Strong talks about it in one of his podcasts with Brad Smith, not sure which one he has done three or four, or buy his book, Brewing Better Beer.
Try this one.

No movement what so ever, dead as a dodo. Thick and sweet mine is. Too sweet.
Any progress? I did as I’d planned and siphoned the stalled wort into a new fv with 1kg of dark dme boiled up in 3l of water and left to cool. I left a good 3-4l behind in the old fv to avoid disturbing a very thick traub. I also added half a sachet of Belgian ale yeast I had kicking around but on reflection that was totally unnecessary. 24hrs later and it’s bubbling like a mad b**tard.
If it stalls at 1.03 again I will assume my mashing and sparging process needs serious work, but the dme will have given it some serious backbone if nothing else. By my calculation even if it stops at 1.03 that’s 7.1% ABV.

Yes or as Gordon Strong puts it at vorlauf, or you can either cold steep or hot steep.
https://www.mrbeer.com/blog/post/steeping-and-mashing-grains-101Gordon Strong talks about it in one of his podcasts with Brad Smith, not sure which one he has done three or four, or buy his book, Brewing Better Beer.
Try this one.

Foxy - how can I do the mashout in a Grainnfather as it will have created the grain bed during the mash/recirculation?

Also if I put them in at the beginning of the mashing whats that going to do to the grains et al

Foxy - how can I do the mashout in a Grainnfather as it will have created the grain bed during the mash/recirculation?

Also if I put them in at the beginning of the mashing whats that going to do to the grains et al
I keep my specialty grains in a tub until mash out, I mash out for 20 mins I put the grains in on top of the grain bed, as you can see I do a very fluid mash, if you don't, you can steep the grains before hand and add the liquor to it.
001.JPG 002.JPG
The reason for putting the specialty grains in at mash out is it increases the quantity of the melanoidins in the finished beer. This will make for smoother and rounder flavours from the specialty grains, plus a stable and more clear beer.
Its a process entirely up to the brewer, if you are just brewing for yourself you may not want to bother.

Last edited:
I keep my specialty grains in a tub until mash out, I mash out for 20 mins I put the grains in on top of the grain bed, as you can see I do a very fluid mash, if you don't, you can steep the grains before hand and add the liquor to it.
View attachment 24877 View attachment 24878
The reason for putting the specialty grains in at mash out is it increases the quantity of the melanoidins in the finished beer. This will make for smoother and rounder flavours from the specialty grains, plus a stable and more clear beer.
Its a process entirely up to the brewer, if you are just brewing for yourself you may not want to bother.
What temp do you mash out? I mash out at 77 Degrees at end of mashing for 10mijutes for all brews

Latest posts

Back