Nice stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am the hunt for a good stout recipe. I have never managed a really stand out stout. Looking at 23 litre brew. Looking a nice smooth finish. Plan to put it on and let it sit until Christmas.
Cheers

If lots of stout reciepes about. As simple classic would just be something like base malt, choccy malt and roasted barley. Then just a single 60min addition of hops for bittering. The trick to getting a smooth finish is to cold steep the dark grains. This mean putting the dark grains in some water overnight then the next day when you come to mash, you separate out the grains from the steepings and add the resultant liquid to the mash. This gives a much more smoother flavour

Was looking at cold steeping or adding at the last ten minutes of the mash. I just wouldn't mind following a tried and trusted recipe. I have made at least 4 attempts at a stout. Mostly a dry Irish stout. Base malt flaked and roasted barley with fuggles. I have added oats as well. My biggest problem is I don't leave them long enough to come good

The last stout I did was last October I used 500 g of lactose. It stuck at 1.028. I still have some left in the garage. The only reason it has survived is I don't really like it

. The trick to getting a smooth finish is to cold steep the dark grains. This mean putting the dark grains in some water overnight then the next day when you come to mash, you separate out the grains from the steepings and add the resultant liquid to the mash. This gives a much more smoother flavour
Be sure to cold steep in the fridge. I left mine out at room temperature the last stout I did, accidentally doing a sour mash. While not a Guinness clone it did resemble it.
Also using blackprinz malt instead of roast barley will give a smoother finish.

Be sure to cold steep in the fridge. I left mine out at room temperature the last stout I did, accidentally doing a sour mash. While not a Guinness clone it did resemble it.
Also using blackprinz malt instead of roast barley will give a smoother finish.

I cant remember whether I left mine in or out of the fridge but it didnt sour if I left it out of the fridge as it turned out fine

Back