Nicks90's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dubbel has come up trumps!
Very very happy with this one. Malty, complex, slightly caramel sweet with pleasant afternotes. Smell is really more-ish with a hint of cocoa.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_194029.jpg
    IMG_20210425_194029.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210425_194442.jpg
    IMG_20210425_194442.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 47
And a sneaky taste of the bavarian lager.
Very crisp and clean, Considering its only been in the fridge for 4 days. And it's not clear yet.
Dissapointed with the hop profile though. It's very lager like and very pleasant, but I'm not getting the mandarina bavaria hops flavour through. Especially when I put so bloody much in it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_223114.jpg
    IMG_20210425_223114.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 47
after a mass bottling of ag68 and ag69 - lets get some saison on!

AG number70
Simple Saison says SMASH

3.5kg pale malt

18l mash at 64C for 120mins followed by a 5l dunk sparge and a good bag squeeze.
Leaving 21l wort for a 60 minute boil and 17l in the FV

Hops
25g Styrian Goldings @60 min
25g Styrian Goldings @15 min

Yeast
Danstar Belle Saison

Expecting about 5srm, 30ibu and 5%. Yeast/trub will be recovered and split in to 3 bottles for 3 more saisons over the coming couple of months.

Missed my target slightly. Was expecting 17l at 1.046, but ended up with 16.5l at 1.045
Not massively concerned, still within 5% margin of error.

This one is going to be wrapped up in a thermal jacket to get fermentation temperature up at the higher scale for added funk. As normally everything in my office sits at 18-20c. So this time if I let it rise to mid to high 20's it might promote some more saison flavours

And ag 68 is tasting lovely too.
Very happy with how clear they both are considering a) I ran out of protofloc b) they haven't been that long in the bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_165547.jpg
    IMG_20210509_165547.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46
AG number71
IPA Saison thingy

I've read on here that adding English hops makes a good saison and i was intending my second from this series to be made with Fuggles. But stupidly i used all of them in my last ale. So a bit more reading lead me down the path of american hops. Would a floral citrus American hop work well with belle saison yeast. The answer appears to be yes. We shall see. As Belle saison yeast isnt the strongest flavour yeast out there for a saison, i am dialling back the hops a LOT in an effort to make something a mishmash of both styles and balance it out. And because i am cheap, I am using some target for bittering...

3.0kg pale malt

18l mash at 64C for 60mins followed by a 2l jug sparge and a good bag squeeze.
Leaving 28l wort for a 60 minute boil and 16l in the FV

Hops
10g Target @60 min
10g Centennial @5 min
10g Cascade @5 min

Yeast
Danstar Belle Saison trub from AG70 split in two. One half for this brew and the other half in the fridge for saison mk3

Expecting about 5srm, 25ibu and 4% abv

That dubbel looks a cracker, Nick!

What was the amount of Special B that you didn't put in it? :D

Did you increase another grain to make up for it?

@moto748
I used the following recipe
2kg pale malt
1kg Munich dark malt
1kg wheat malt
100gm crystal 360ebc
500gm Amber candi sugar
50gm Black patent

I think next time I will use some special B just for that added raisin / fruit note, but I don't think it feels lacking because of its omission. Also using so much Munich dark malt has given it a really heavyweight backbone. Its a thoroughly lovely beer to sip, but not one I could drink all night. Same with any commercial dubbel I've had, one to savour for an hour and then get the beers in!

@moto748
I used the following recipe
2kg pale malt
1kg Munich dark malt
1kg wheat malt
100gm crystal 360ebc
500gm Amber candi sugar
50gm Black patent

I think next time I will use some special B just for that added raisin / fruit note, but I don't think it feels lacking because of its omission. Also using so much Munich dark malt has given it a really heavyweight backbone. Its a thoroughly lovely beer to sip, but not one I could drink all night. Same with any commercial dubbel I've had, one to savour for an hour and then get the beers in!

Thanks! I have some Special B, but no dark Munich, only ordinary Munich. But I think I see a plan... :D

Doncha just love belle saison yeast...

Ag70 simple saison smash grain to glass in 10 days. Fully carbd and tasting delicious. Still a bit cloudy but this was purely a pint for research purposes.
Ag71 ipa saison thingy that I put on last Thursday, down to target gravity after 3 days. I might as well bottle it in a couple of days and get my experimental dark saison started.

What was your final gravity on each of the Saisons, if you don't mind me asking?

I've had 1.003 and 1.001 on a second generation yeast!

That's a few points difference for the same yeast.
My hydrometer is calibrated ok.
Maybe mine was simply more fermentable wort. Each 23L batch used 200g of either white sugar or golden syrup and mashed at 65°C. Plus, the batch reaching 1.001 was left in the FV for 3 weeks.

While I think about it, it's odd that I got 1.001 and there still seems to be plenty of body to the beer, it doesn't come across as thin.

Made my first Saison last year, and used the Belle Saison yeast. It turned out really well.

The grain bill was:
Basic lager malt - 3.8kg
Vienna malt - 870g
Wheat malt - 460g
The hops were a bit of a mix based on what I had left over from previous brews:
Magnum - 7g (60 min)
Vic Secret - 15g (20 min)
Vic Secret - 20g (whirlpool)
Total bitterness - ~35 IBUs (calculated)
Mash temp - ~67degC
OG = 1.054
FG = 1.003
The fermentation volume was 22.5l

It had a slightly acidic aftertaste that made it very refreshing, and a lemony and yeasty aroma. I'll make it again one of these days athumb..

Yeah, very sexy hops they are too when in their prime! Expensive to get and really lose their appeal when they get older too 🤔

@cushyno
I didn't use any sugar in mine and I have no idea how calibrated my hydrometer is, plus I find them hard to read accurately due to be blind as a bat and usually having 17l of beer in a 25l bucket, so I'm looking down etc...
Sod it, near enough.

Anyway, here it is, simple saison says smash on day 11 from brew day. Starting to clear nicely too

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_193347.jpg
    IMG_20210518_193347.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
Yeah, very sexy hops they are too when in their prime! Expensive to get and really lose their appeal when they get older too 🤔

@cushyno
I didn't use any sugar in mine and I have no idea how calibrated my hydrometer is, plus I find them hard to read accurately due to be blind as a bat and usually having 17l of beer in a 25l bucket, so I'm looking down etc...
Sod it, near enough.

Anyway, here it is, simple saison says smash on day 11 from brew day. Starting to clear nicely too

Nice colour and a good head . . . . . Looks very promising :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back