Nitrogen to CO2 regulator adapter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi guys
Hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction. I recently bought an adapter to hook up my CO2 regulator to a nitrogen cylinder. Was about to go and buy the nitro today an checked my reg with the adapter. It wouldn't screw in.

Was speaking to the bloke that sells the gas and he said, from a safety POV, I should not use an adapter. But my reg has an inlet capacity of 250 bar, which is more than enough. He sells nitro regs for £90. I have seen them considerably cheaper.

So is there a reasonably priced nitro reg any of y'all would recommend? Or is there an adapter any of y'all would recommend?

My reg is an Italian ODL Lierna.

Thanks for any help (£260 is a lot, just to pour a pint of Beamish).

Many "CO2 regulators" can handle the pressure of mixed gas (N2, O2, etc.) as manufacturers will prefer to make just one regulator body not a multitude. Many ... but not all! The cylinder regulators I use are specific to CO2, I wouldn't like to imagine people fitting it to a N2 cylinder. So, some time ago they came up with a scheme of differing connectors for differing gases to avoid accidents.

But preventing people using their stupidity to seriously injure themselves (or worse) is a violation of their rights (?). And as we have countries that have no scruples to prevent manufacture of dangerous items for these people to pursue their rights, we can get our hands on them.

Are you sure you want to be one of these people protecting such rights? Avoid the "adapter" option is what I'd recommend.

A bit of background info: CO2 will liquefy at pressures about 860PSI, hence you always see CO2 cylinders holding such pressure. Mixed gas, N2, O2, etc. do not liquify at such "low" pressure and are therefore compressed to exceedingly high pressures (2500 or more PSI) to get a useful amount in the cylinder.

I'm inclined not to go down the adapter route, even though my reg can handle the 200 bar inlet pressure that mixed gas creates. There is a stamp on the back that says 300 bar inlet.

But I have seen nitro regs for under £40. I do not think it is worth the risk of using an adapter for the sake of £40. However, I would like one that is fit for purpose.

Back