no boil no chill 1 week wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep some spraymalt handy in case you need to up your gravity.
And secondary ferment? I thought... I am new to ag.. That boiling off a couple of litres would up the gravity and increase flavour intensity?

And secondary ferment? I thought... I am new to ag.. That boiling off a couple of litres would up the gravity and increase flavour intensity?
I would not add it to secondary. Add it to the wort before fermentation and take another reading. 100g in 1l of water gives approximately 40 gravity points, If your making raw beer you cant boil in any case. I would recommend getting a refractometer so you can check your gravity points as your brewing.
If after a 90 minute mash i don't have the points i want i will add a little more base malt and take another reading in 15. This is why i suggest doing a full volume mash as it makes it easier and more consistent. I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense, thank you.

Out of interest.. I ended up with about 9 litres in the fermenter, capacity is about 12 so there's a good bit of head room. I used the fermentis wheat beer yeast and there was visible activity, not. Massive activity, after about 12 hours for 2 days and it has stopped. I can't see into my fv, as it's black.. And don't want to open the lid. I would usually follow the 2 2 2 rule with an extract kit..

Open it and take a reading or leave it for a week?

6 days in the fv and 6 in the bottle... Couldn't resist. Really pleased. Its not strong, no idea on the abv, but it's a nice drink, keeps the head and only my second ag... But the first I have been able to drink, the neipa is still conditioning.. A few things I will do differently next time but I made good notes.

Attachments

• DSC_1708.JPG
    DSC_1708.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 63
6 days in the fv and 6 in the bottle... Couldn't resist. Really pleased. Its not strong, no idea on the abv, but it's a nice drink, keeps the head and only my second ag... But the first I have been able to drink, the neipa is still conditioning.. A few things I will do differently next time but I made good notes.
Nice one, looks superb. Well done for your second beer. I have had wheat yeast buckle the fv lid before but it doesn't normally.
Will post some more no boil recipes soon.

My experience was just like Wurp; I was (and am, still have some left) delighted with it, but also thought it could have done with being just a little stronger, but that was my fault, I believe; I overshot the batch size by a fair bit, quite simply started off with too much water! But I think I have a much better handle on water quantities now than I did back then. Couple of litres less water in the first place, and it will be spot-on. I shall certainly be brewing it again for the summer.

Well the summer is well on its way, and I haven't got round to brewing this again. But considering my attempt was in my early days at the beginning of the year, I'm sure I can improve on my first attempt, and i was pretty pleased with that. I checked my notes from February, and I see I added the comment "Try 26 litres of water instead of 29 next time". Although a second time I'd probably do a smaller batch size, tbh.

Worth reviving this thread in a heat-wave!

I actually made this again yesterday. first time I didn't really know what I was doing with water quantities, I thought, I'll make a better fist of it this time. So I checked my records, how much much water do I need for an 11 litre batch? Ah, yes, here it is...

And yes, readers, I made the same schoolboy error all over again! Those water quantities were of course based on a normal brew, with an hour's boil. For a no-boil recipe, they are much too high... :rolleyes:

If I'd re-read post #88 above first...

So, in Groundhog Day fashion, I again found myself adding sugar (I had spraymalt, but went with sugar) to beef it up a bit. But 'only' 150 g of sugar, so not so disastrous, I think. And slightly better efficiency than before has helped me. Because of the temperature, I've had to make adjustments to the hydrometer reading, but my best estimate is around 1044, in what was supposed to be a 11 litre batch, but is now a 13 litre batch.

I didn't have the liquid yeast to hand, so I went with MJ M20 Bavarian wheat. which I've never used before. Vigorous creamy krausen just an hour after pitching this morning, so all looks good on that score. I have tangerine peel and coriander...

Last edited:
Worth reviving this thread in a heat-wave!

I actually made this again yesterday. first time I didn't really know what I was doing with water quantities, I thought, I'll make a better fist of it this time. So I checked my records, how much much water do I need for an 11 litre batch? Ah, yes, here it is...

And yes, readers, I made the same schoolboy error all over again! Those water quantities were of course based on a normal brew, with an hour's boil. For a no-boil recipe, they are much too high... :rolleyes:

If I'd re-read post #88 above first...

So, in Groundhog Day fashion, I again found myself adding sugar (I had spraymalt, but went with sugar) to beef it up a bit. But 'only' 150 g of sugar, so not so disastrous, I think. And slightly better efficiency than before has helped me. Because of the temperature, I've had to make adjustments to the hydrometer reading, but my best estimate is around 1044, in what was supposed to be a 11 litre batch, but is now a 13 litre batch.

I didn't have the liquid yeast to hand, so I went with MJ M20 Bavarian wheat. which I've never used before. Vigorous creamy krausen just an hour after pitching this morning, so all looks good on that score. I have tangerine peel and coriander...
M20 is my goto weiss beer yeast. good temp range too.

All I can, say, Jim, is that there are absolutely no off flavours in the beer I'm drinking right now, a couple of months in the bottle. And it still smells lovely!

Back