no boil no chill 1 week wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have a look at this book by Janish
I'm only about a quarter of the way through but there's a lot of good info already. When I'm finished I'm going to attempt the "ultimate NEIPA" using all the tips and tricks from the book :D

In terms of hops, are you boiling them seperate then adding the water and the hops after the mash?

not sure how I missed that to be honest. I'm blaming it on the stress of my students doing their last exam today!!!!!

Yeah, defo gonna give this a go, mainly due to low stocks and wanting a quick-ish turn around (I have voss yeast which should help), but also as I have 2 demanding 6 year olds it will shorten the brew day. I've only brewed once since New Year as couldn't find the time and also have to brew outdoors. This would be a game changer!

I'm not a huge lover of bitter beers so not too concerned about IBU which would help keep down on the price also.

I'm not a huge lover of bitter beers so not too concerned about IBU which would help keep down on the price also.
I'm no expert on the technique, but I supspect you'll need more hops to get enough bitterness to balance the beer, due to massively decreased utilisation.
What subject are your horrors being examined in?

True

This afternoon was French Rev and Napolean. They all seemed to think it went ok though! No more year 13 students until September. Down to 2 classes a week for the next 4 weeks. This is when life as a teacher gets a bit more tolerable.

True

This afternoon was French Rev and Napolean. They all seemed to think it went ok though! No more year 13 students until September. Down to 2 classes a week for the next 4 weeks. This is when life as a teacher gets a bit more tolerable.
I remember those happy days after the summer half-term. Plenty of time to do loads. Three years of freedom behind me now. Doesn't time fly!

In spite of my reservations in post #14, the gravity has dropped to 1004 and although it looks a bit like pea soup, it tastes delicious. It's going straight into pets in the hope that some of the soup will drop out of suspension. But, at the end of the day, it's a cloudy wheat beer!
Incidentally I made a sort of wit with 40% Red-X and 60 wheat malt and a bit of orange peel and coriander. Bottled it at the beginning of the week and it's perfectly clear already. It shouldn't be, Safale WB-06 can take ages to clear. There's something quite special about Red-X and I'm beginning to suspect that part of the malting process encourages lactic acid formation. I'll have a taste later.

Sixteen days on and all carbed up and ready to go. Will report back later. It's going to get a bit of a chill in the fridge, but I don't consider that part of the "process"...

Sixteen days on and all carbed up and ready to go. Will report back later. It's going to get a bit of a chill in the fridge, but I don't consider that part of the "process"...
IMG_20190625_183616.jpg
I didn't know what to expect and I'm not disappointed. This is a really tasty beer that tastes just like a fully-brewed wheat beer. Not exactly the same flavour as the fully-brewed I based it on, but not inferior to that, just a bit "fresher". What did surprise me is that I although I could repeatedly build a head, it wouldn't keep the head for more than half a minute or so. Very pleased. As soon as we get past the "heatwave from Hell" I'm going to try a mild.

Whose is that dog eyeing up my beer?

Interesting, I'm planning on brewing an american wheat soon and no-boil might be a plan as it's horrible boiling for an hour in my kitchen when it's hot outside.

So for hops I could boil a bit of citra in water for bitterness and steep the rest at 85c (as per Steve's comment) for flavour. Sounds like it should work and avoid all the steam and heat.

@BeerCat do you notice much of a drop in efficiency since you'll be sparging with 3L less water due to not needing to boil it off.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm planning on brewing an american wheat soon and no-boil might be a plan as it's horrible boiling for an hour in my kitchen when it's hot outside.

So for hops I could boil a bit of citra in water for bitterness and steep the rest at 85c (as per Steve's comment) for flavour. Sounds like it should work and avoid all the steam and heat.

@BeerCat do you notice much of a drop in efficiency since you'll be sparging with 3L less water due to not needing to boil it off.

I don't bother sparging anymore if short on time. I think the last efficiency was lower but I did a full volume mash for 90m. I would say expect a 10 or fifteen percent drop the first time you try it and add more water if needed. Sorry I don't take very good notes on these. I think the soft water helps a lot for these German styles.
Another thing I do is collect a few litres of wort for the starter.
Then I pitch two thirds 12 hours later at high krausen. Leave the rest to ferment out for next time.

View attachment 19482 I didn't know what to expect and I'm not disappointed. This is a really tasty beer that tastes just like a fully-brewed wheat beer. Not exactly the same flavour as the fully-brewed I based it on, but not inferior to that, just a bit "fresher". What did surprise me is that I although I could repeatedly build a head, it wouldn't keep the head for more than half a minute or so. Very pleased. As soon as we get past the "heatwave from Hell" I'm going to try a mild.

Whose is that dog eyeing up my beer?

Looks awesome. No idea why you should suffer from head retention. A massive ice cream head is one of the benefits of this style. Perhaps bottle sooner.I keg most of mine now so can only comment on that.

I don't bother sparging anymore if short on time. I think the last efficiency was lower but I did a full volume mash for 90m. I would say expect a 10 or fifteen percent drop the first time you try it and add more water if needed. Sorry I don't take very good notes on these. I think the soft water helps a lot for these German styles.
Another thing I do is collect a few litres of wort for the starter.
Then I pitch two thirds 12 hours later at high krausen. Leave the rest to ferment out for next time.
Thanks for that, I was going to brew 17L to hit the OG I want from what wheat I have but I'll cut it back to 15L until I see what the gravity is.

Looks awesome. No idea why you should suffer from head retention. A massive ice cream head is one of the benefits of this style. Perhaps bottle sooner.I keg most of mine now so can only comment on that.
Might have been a dodgy glass. A bit of washing up liquid can play havoc with the head. I'm going to have to have another one now, just to check. damn!

A warning that the mango wheat was not good. Not sure exactly why but second time I tried this and no mango flavour. Not drinkable so chucked it. Hopefully someone with more experience knows why.
The raspberry however is fantastic. I kegged and bottled some last night at 9 days old. I could of left it a bit longer but fermentation had finished and it tastes really nice. A decent acidity from the berries. I racked around 23l onto 3.5kg of berries after 48 hours. It was then at 1020, I could of left it longer but did it when I had time. Finished at 1010. An easy summertime beer.
@Zephyr259 My last no boil efficiency was 75% which is what I get when boiling.

I made this one, first wheat beer I have brewed.

Brunchmaster 2000 Witbier

Thomas Kinzer of Milwaukie, OR, member of the Men Who Stare at Airlocks, won a gold medal in Category 21: Belgian Ale during the 2018 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Portland, OR. Kinzer’s Belgian witbier was chosen as the best among 202 entries in the category.

To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2018 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.

Brunchmaster 2000 Witbier | Witbier
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5.5 US gallons (20.8 L)
  • MALTS
  • 6 lb. (2.72 kg) flaked wheat
  • 4.5 lb. (2.04 kg) Briess pale two-row malt
  • 4 oz. (113 g) flaked oats
  • HOPS
  • 0.65 oz. (18 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 20 min
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 15 min
  • 1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 0 min
  • WATER
  • Malt-forward (CaCl 75–100% of Ca additions) water profile that is appropriate for your water. Resist the urge to use gypsum to boost hop crispness; this is a round, balanced to malty beer with heavy hop aroma and flavor, not bitterness.
  • ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
  • 0.1 oz. (2.8 g) freshly ground coriander @ 5 min
  • 0.1 oz. (2.8 g) freshly ground bitter orange peel @ 5 min
  • 0.25 tsp. (1.2 g) Wyeast yeast nutrient @ 1 min
  • YEAST
  • Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, 1 L starter
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.050 (12.5° P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.012 (3° P)
  • ABV: 5%
  • IBU: 18
  • SRM: 3-4
DIRECTIONS
Use BIAB single infusion mash at 152°F (67°C) for 90 to 120 minutes. Stir occasionally, keeping mash between 150 and 152°F (66 and 67°C). Remove bag. Measure gravity, adjust volumes for gravity vs. evaporation rate/boil length if needed to hit target OG of 1.050 and begin boil. It’s very important that you chill immediately and quickly because this is a hop-bursted beer. Delays will cause the beer to be too bitter. Chill to 64°F (18°C), oxygenate and pitch. Fermentation should start low and finish high: let primary free-rise gradually over the course of two weeks, bumping with heat, if needed later in the fermentation, to finish at 78° F (26°C) at the very end. Let sit in primary at 78°F (26°C) for a few days and keg, then chill and carbonate to taste (high level for wit). Ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.

Do not add more coriander or orange peel to the recipe. Let the Amarillo do the heavy orange lifting. Watch your base malt’s diastatic power, too. Briess 2-row has worked for me, but other malts might have issues fully converting so much adjunct.

I didn't use the Briess malt I used Viking and my efficiency lagged a little, came out nice but better for a summer beer, and I am in the middle of winter.
An Ankou mentioned in another post that Wheat beers seem to carry on fermenting totally agree, the carb level seems to just keep on rising, hoping I can keep this beer until the warmer weather arrives.
003.JPG

An Ankou mentioned in another post that Wheat beers seem to carry on fermenting totally agree, the carb level seems to just keep on rising, hoping I can keep this beer until the warmer weather arrives.
I only ever use PETs for wheat beer. That way I can crack open the lid to let the excess gas out and then scre the lid down again.

No idea why you should suffer from head retention. A massive ice cream head is one of the benefits of this style. Perhaps bottle sooner.
The second bottle was the same. And yet the liquid is full of gas. If I pour it from one glass to another, it foams over the top! There's something messing with the surface tension of the liquid. Not sure what, though.

Last edited:
Ready to bottle my Wheat beer started last Saturday, it's just a Wheat malt on it's own, hops are perle and pilgrim and the yeast is Kristallweizen and using Buxton spring water. Loads of foam, was rather difficult to use the hydrometer and glass, taste was quite grapefruity. Very drinkable although not really my cuppa tea, missus will drain it down her though.

Back