No bubbles in the airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a duplicate of a thread i made in the wine how to forum, as most of us use buckets i thought it may be of interest.

I have 2 FV's one is a Richies version i bought in my local home brew shop, this has a lid that snaps shut and is airtight and the airlock always works as it should, the second is a cheap one off ebay, the lid is very floppy (for want of a better description) it doesn't snap shut and i never see bubbles coming through the airlock.

The simple fix is to put a heavy weight in the centre of the FV lid.

If you try this method let me know how you get on, if you use another method post it in the thread. :thumb:

Last edited:
Interesting to read this. I have just started out and am on my first brew. My lid did exactly the same. I had cut the hole for the airlock lock myself so I'm guessing I have made it too big?? Putting the sugar on top I'm assuming doesn't fix the issue, but makes the airlock visibly work properly?

I will try the upside down test when I have finished the brew!

In my case the lid already had a grommet in it so the airlock was a tight fit, i think the problem i had with the cheaper flimsy bucket lid was that it bulged so much it unsealed the lid slightly and the CO2 escaped there instead of going through the air lock, the weight of 2Kg of sugar must be pulling the lid down onto the edge of the bucket making a good seal and preventing the CO2 from escaping so it has to go through the airlock.

Latest posts

Back