No caffertia/french press for hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone have another idea to get the most out of a hop tea without one of the above appliances?

I've not often made hop tea but when I do I make it in a food flask, one of the wide mouthed ones, so can leave it for ages at just the right temperature. It needs to be a wide mouthed one because over hours even a small amount of pellets will expand and completely fill it. Then you have to go digging about with a tablespoon to get it all out then dump the lot into the fermenter.

Does anyone have another idea to get the most out of a hop tea without one of the above appliances?
Sanitise a measuring jug. Add hop (pellets).
Boil a kettle, and allow to cool to about 85*C.
Pour water into measuring jug at rate of 100ml water to 10g pellets.
Cover with cling film. Cover everything with a towel or similar to keep the heat in, and allow to slowly cool to room temperature.
Stir the jug contents with a sanitised spoon and gently pour hop tea with hop bits into beer.
Then handle beer as you would for a dry hop.

I said to SWMBO I'd make a hop tea for bottling a SMASH at the weekend. She knows I make hop teas in my cafetiere.

So I search the house for 15 minutes looking for said cafetiere. Ask her if she's seen it to which she replied yeah it got broke a few weeks ago. I'm sure she done it to annoy me.

I didn't bother in the end up. I couldn't be arsed going to the shed for the sieve and sanitising it. But that's what I'd have done. Make it in a jug or pan and pour it in to the bottling bucket through the sieve.

........... Make it in a jug or pan and pour it in to the bottling bucket through the sieve.

PLEASE don't do it!

Set an example for us all and make her walk through the pouring rain, on a very cold and windy day, to buy (out of her own money) the bit of crucial brewing equipment that she wilfully (we all have our suspicions) destroyed; and then failed to tell you. (The last bit is unforgivable if you are past the first year of marriage; aka "The Honeymoon Period".):gulp:

PLEASE don't do it!

Set an example for us all and make her walk through the pouring rain, on a very cold and windy day, to buy (out of her own money) the bit of crucial brewing equipment that she wilfully (we all have our suspicions) destroyed; and then failed to tell you. (The last bit is unforgivable if you are past the first year of marriage; aka "The Honeymoon Period".):gulp:

Good idea! I'll check the forecast for a suitably rainy and windy day

Latest posts

Back