No Chill Cube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just starting off and have a couple of brews under my belt using this no chill method but have never got my head around the hop additions. How do you all manage yours. I have read online about delaying all additions by 20min but what happens to the last minute hop additions?

I am just starting off and have a couple of brews under my belt using this no chill method but have never got my head around the hop additions. How do you all manage yours. I have read online about delaying all additions by 20min but what happens to the last minute hop additions?
There's loads of reading and advice to be had but the only way to find out is to give it a whirl.Try splitting your wort into two pots and try different methods and find which one you prefer although I imagine it will be vary amongst different styles.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry mate,I'm not too scientific with mine to say the least, I threw almost 100g of Galaxy and Wai-Iti hops in at end of boil,I waited half hour then transferred to no chill cube,if its bitter,it's bitter, just means I will have to wait longer until it mellows

There's a guy selling these for 2 quid each not far from me. They are ex chemical containers apparently so that's putting me off slightly but they are supposedly food safe. I was thinking of buying a few as cheap fv 's.

Does anyone know much about cleaning/rinsing chemical residues? Would a good hot oxy soak and plenty of rinsing do the job?

There's a guy selling these for 2 quid each not far from me. They are ex chemical containers apparently so that's putting me off slightly but they are supposedly food safe. I was thinking of buying a few as cheap fv 's.

Does anyone know much about cleaning/rinsing chemical residues? Would a good hot oxy soak and plenty of rinsing do the job?
Don't even bother where chemical is concerned as you can't know for sure what chemical was in them and besides those should be destroyed of properly.
You can buy them new for a £5 each as I have 5 of them.
Pick them up from an agricultural store farm supplies or eBay even.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

As Gerry says dont bother. Plastic is/can be absorbant so may well have absorbed some of whatever chemicals were stored in there. Which may then leech back into your beer

Aye fair enough. Cheers lads. I'm not even a tight person generally but for some reason I'm always determined to get a bargain for brewing.

Any one got anything to add about hop addictions if using the no chill method please.
What I have been doing is keeping some wort back, even the wort that is left in the boiler if you have enough. Pour off the hot wort as normal, the wort you have kept back, (or the remainder from the kettle poured into a jug and let settle)
Boil up the wort held back and add the late hop additions, pour into the cooled wort into the fementer.
It works for me as I pitch the yeast the following day,if you keep the wort for a while still do the same way pour some of the kept wort into a saucepan, boil and add the late hop additions pour into fermenter with the cool wort and pitch yeast.

Latest posts

Back