No Chill Cubes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I wondered where everybody buys no chill cubes from.
I am looking for a 15 litre example but no luck so far.

Hi @Saisonator
The "best" sellers of such items change too often to really get useful advice online .. you're probably best just scouring the fleabay for "Jerry Can" and making sure whatever you buy is food safe and heat resilient (probably HDPE)

What's a cube?
... a jerry can, that you drop your wort in at the end of the boil while its still hot, then squeeze (as much as you can of) the air out of it and seal it, then turn it over to ensure the hot wort comes into contact with all internal surfaces ... when cooled you have a jerry can full of pasteurised wort ... Australian brewers tend to call them "no-chill cubes" because they leave them to cool naturally, American brewers sometimes refer to them as "swamp coolers", because they often go drop them into the swamps at the bottom of their gardens to cool, apparently :?: ... with it all sealed up and pasteurised, the wort will keep for a while until you're ready to pitch. In some countries, and Malt Miller used to sell these in the UK but they stopped for some reason, you can buy wort in this state as "Fresh Wort Kits" (e.g. those there (link)) :hat:

Cheers, PhilB

American brewers sometimes refer to them as "swamp coolers",
In the US, a swamp cooler is a larger container/tub filled with some water and ice and the fermenter sits in it. Towels are draped over the fermenter and dip partially in the water to draw liquid into the towels. The main idea is cooling through evaporation. It is mostly done in really hot parts of the country when someone has no refrigeration ability.

Hi @Saisonator
The "best" sellers of such items change too often to really get useful advice online .. you're probably best just scouring the fleabay for "Jerry Can" and making sure whatever you buy is food safe and heat resilient (probably HDPE)

... a jerry can, that you drop your wort in at the end of the boil while its still hot, then squeeze (as much as you can of) the air out of it and seal it, then turn it over to ensure the hot wort comes into contact with all internal surfaces ... when cooled you have a jerry can full of pasteurised wort ... Australian brewers tend to call them "no-chill cubes" because they leave them to cool naturally, American brewers sometimes refer to them as "swamp coolers", because they often go drop them into the swamps at the bottom of their gardens to cool, apparently :?: ... with it all sealed up and pasteurised, the wort will keep for a while until you're ready to pitch. In some countries, and Malt Miller used to sell these in the UK but they stopped for some reason, you can buy wort in this state as "Fresh Wort Kits" (e.g. those there (link)) :hat:

Cheers, PhilB
Thanks I've learned something new again on this forum.

I got a couple of Amazon back in December. I’ve just checked and they’re currently unavailable.

Just search for HDPE and the size you want. They do expand a fair bit when filled with hot wort. Mine are 20L and I get 22L plus a little air space.

Don’t worry trying to squeeze every bit of air out, you’ll just burn yourself.

I wanted the option of storing for a week or two so I can brew even when my fermentation fridge is in use.

In that case use a proper cube. I only store wort in buckets for a max of 48 hours. The couple of times I've gone longer the wort started to have an unusual smell or spontaneously start to ferment (although after chucking the beer yeast in the beer was fine)

I got a couple of Amazon back in December. I’ve just checked and they’re currently unavailable.

Just search for HDPE and the size you want. They do expand a fair bit when filled with hot wort. Mine are 20L and I get 22L plus a little air space.

Don’t worry trying to squeeze every bit of air out, you’ll just burn yourself.
I tend to do 12 litre batches, but if I can get 11 litres into a 10 litre cube, then that would be acceptabl.

Latest posts

Back