No chill - leave the hops in boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning this brew tomorrow https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/my-first-all-grain-brew-day.82646/

Question for you - I was planning on using a large bag to hold the hops in during the boil. I am planning on not chilling, and was either going to leave in the boiler with the hops, or remove the hops and leave in tbe boiler to cool, or put into the fv ready to pitch the next day when cool.

Anyone recommend any of the above approaches as the best to go for - specifically interested in the hops - ie it is better to leave it in or take it out. I'm looking for a hoppier flavour, but don't want to ruin it!

I remove the hops and then let the wort cool on its own, if you leave the hops in you will get extra bittering as the hops will still release bittering oils while cooling to a temp of approx 80c. There are some programmes/calculators that will give a approx of the extra IBU's so that you can adjust the initial hop amounts to compensate for this but how accurate they are is a matter for debate. I just take them out at flameout and leave to cool.

Many thanks, I'll just go straight for the fv then after the boil, and that will remove the wort from the hops - and keep the fv nice and sterile!

Literally cannot wait to drink my first ag brew.

I remove the hops then leave the wort to cool until it reaches somewhere in the 80s temp wise for 2 reasons. First it allows the trub and break to settle so that you transfer less into the FV and second it is not good practice to put boiling hot wort into a Fv as it is dangerous if you move it and the FV if plastic become less rigid also if you are using plastic it can release toxins out of some Fv's at very high temps

Huge thanks for those tips ! Excellent points - I'll keep then in mind tomorrow.

If I was doing your linked recipe using no chill, I would delay the 15 minute addition until about 5 mins before flame out then wait for it to cool below 80 before adding the zero minute additions, then leave all the hops in overnight until transfer to fermenter.
If running through a brew calculator I add 10 minutes on the calculator to what I actually do.

That's more or less what I do, I add my 60 Min bittering hops and then add nothing until 'flame out' and then add all my aroma hops.
Leave it to cool down for a couple of hours then pull the hops and drain in to the fv.

Back