No Chill method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've left three in for a month and no issues.I pour after flameout, screw down the lid and watch it swell.Its safe as it's pasteurised and will keep for a few months I would expect.
Currently have three in since yesterday as I need to bottle a few brews but waiting delivery of my bench capper.

Gerry

I remember reading over on Biabrewer about some guy leaving them for 6 months +, longest I've left them is a few weeks though.

Crikey I thought I was pushing my luck when I forgot to add the yeast in the evening and remembered to do it the next morning... I always transfer the wort at near boiling point into the FV so it `sterilises' the FV for me.

Crikey I thought I was pushing my luck when I forgot to add the yeast in the evening and remembered to do it the next morning... I always transfer the wort at near boiling point into the FV so it `sterilises' the FV for me.

I was the same...speaking of it! ill no chill my punk ipa and do a starter lata on and pitch the yeast the morra:thumb:
great idea for cubes specially if ive not a lot bottles...ie 3 cubes stored and pitch the yeast when yout stocks go down.
if u know what I mean.:lol:
bri

I was the same...speaking of it! ill no chill my punk ipa and do a starter lata on and pitch the yeast the morra:thumb:
great idea for cubes specially if ive not a lot bottles...ie 3 cubes stored and pitch the yeast when yout stocks go down.
if u know what I mean.[emoji38]
bri
I have bubblers on three of my lids so when cooled aerate,pitch and replace lid with bubbler/airlock lid providing it doesn't need diluting if I've overshot.
5e3ffcb4e5453d3d4eb737591a6a8373.jpg

Gerry

I can feel a plan forming for double brew days, get one done and into a no chill cube, whilst starting the next, pitch to one and leave the other for when the first has fermented.

I don't get to do a brew day often so this could help with stocking.

If it is left in a no chill cube, is there a temp level that would taint the wort in any way, or is it fairly robust if kept out of the light and sealed from the outside world?

I can feel a plan forming for double brew days, get one done and into a no chill cube, whilst starting the next, pitch to one and leave the other for when the first has fermented.

I don't get to do a brew day often so this could help with stocking.

If it is left in a no chill cube, is there a temp level that would taint the wort in any way, or is it fairly robust if kept out of the light and sealed from the outside world?
No it's fairly robust, just keep it on a cool floor out of direct sunlight.
I pulled three on Tuesday, Shipyard Rye Pale Ale clone attempt, Guinness clone attempt then combined all the grains in the mash tun and ended up with second runnings/party gyle all around 20 litres.
Just checked OG on all three as I want the Rye and Stout to be at 1.046 for pitching yeast
Rye 1.072
Stout 1.052
2nd runnings 1.032
If I put 15 litres of the rye in the fermenter and add 8.5 litres to dilute this will give me my 1.046 and the stout only needs 2.5 litres @22.5 litres.
Now what to do with the other five litre's.
Well I'm going to put it into the 2nd runnings giving 25 litre's and hopefully raise the OG a bit but shall be sessionable and all three actually tasted quite nice.
So if you can do three in a day as all the equipment is out, transfer to cube's to cool and ferment when you're ready and really handy is having caps with airlock's spare as you swap them straight out if you want though I have transfer my rye but all good.[emoji106] [emoji481] [emoji12]

Gerry

I have bubblers on three of my lids so when cooled aerate,pitch and replace lid with bubbler/airlock lid providing it doesn't need diluting if I've overshot.
5e3ffcb4e5453d3d4eb737591a6a8373.jpg

Gerry

So, may I ask, how and when do you add flame out hops?? if your putting your near boiling wort in a plastic container

So, may I ask, how and when do you add flame out hops?? if your putting your near boiling wort in a plastic container

I have been doing no chill for a few months. I generally add 75% of the flameout hops into the cube and dry hop in the Fv with the others. All the recipes I have done have been no chill so I can't compare the taste against the same one done when chilled quickly. Results have been ok for me so far doing that. My next brew when I get chance is heavily hopped IPA so it will be interesting to see how that turns out. I also adjust the hop additions during the boil in line with a table that I got off the net.

I have been doing no chill for a few months. I generally add 75% of the flameout hops into the cube and dry hop in the Fv with the others. All the recipes I have done have been no chill so I can't compare the taste against the same one done when chilled quickly. Results have been ok for me so far doing that. My next brew when I get chance is heavily hopped IPA so it will be interesting to see how that turns out. I also adjust the hop additions during the boil in line with a table that I got off the net.

Thanks for that Dave. i must give it a try and see what transpires

So the question next is who is a good supplier of No Chill Cubes in the UK?

Would this do you? I've been using one for years and this is a pretty good price.

https://www.homebrewadventure.co.uk/products
That would certainly do but at nearly £20 ouch.
I get mine for a £5 each,bore 20mm hole for a stuffing gland which is about a £0.50 and that's it as the gland is locked in and doesn't get knocked, allows secure fitting of a blow off tube.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332135357465

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182220464976

Gerry

Latest posts

Back